68 Barracuda grill insert detail

-

CUUDAK

Reaction score
As a kid being eye level with my Dads 68 Formula S grills I remember the tips of the inserts being chrome. I have asked a few people and they tend to think it was argent in color with flat black within the frame area.

My inserts were original untouched and I could still see the flat black areas and they were still in good shape concidering the age. As for the horizonal "Gills" they looked just like the instrument cluster where it was once chrome and had this gray substance instead.

I found a pic from an advertisment and it sure looks like chrome to me???

Anyone know for sure?? I painted mine Charcoal gray and want to chrome the edges of the "Gills".

Attachments

• 1barracudasgrill.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 1,090
Any piece of plastic that was chrome metallized was covered completely with detail painting on top of the chrome. A chrome detail might look nice on the outer edges of those ribs but the factory didn't do that.

This one looks nice except the flat black. I prefer charcoal gray. Guess i'll give it a shot.

Attachments

• 1leftGrille.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 756
Masking that to spray with something like Alsa chrome or any spray paint would be a challenge.
Another point to consider... Many owners ( including myself ) have removed the argent paint from the grille surrounds to reveal bright finish aluminum. It looks OK from a distance but when you walk up to it you can see reflections of the voids above the surrounds that was never meant to be seen.
A bright chrome on those ribs may do the same thing which could look like chrome missing in areas. Anyway.. Show us your end results.

the grills cam 3 different ways
1-grey
2-black
3 chrome like your dads sides painted black or grey (can't remember)

the grills cam 3 different ways
1-grey
2-black
3 chrome like your dads sides painted black or grey (can't remember)

The 68 grille did not come all black on any model.

IMG_0088-2.jpg

The 68 grille did not come all black on any model.

Yep, I am working on the cross braces and painting them back flat black as well as around the insert and where the parklight bolts in.

The detaling is pretty tedious with all the fins and braces. After hours of sanding and buffing aluminum I refinished the surrounds in a bright metallic silver which turned out nice. Now all that needs to be done is the black around the aluminum surrounds face.

I will post up some pics when I am done.

Thanks for all the info. and tips guys!!

The grilles with the chrome on the edges of the vertical fins were usually only found on the spring special models(or some call it the sport special), Chrysler chromed the entire grille first and then blacked out everything else afterward accept the ends of the fins. Most other Barracuda's had the more common grille which has argent fins with the park signal light insert and horizontal supports blacked out. Only reproduction grilles available for the 68 come completely black, otherwise someone has painted them.

The grilles with the chrome on the edges of the vertical fins were usually only found on the spring special models(or some call it the sport special), Chrysler chromed the entire grille first and then blacked out everything else afterward accept the ends of the fins. Most other Barracuda's had the more common grille which has argent fins with the park signal light insert and horizontal supports blacked out. Only reproduction grilles available for the 68 come completely black, otherwise someone has painted them.

I hadn't heard of a spring edition 68 fish before. All mfgrs do that sort of thing though.
That vacuum metalize chrome didn't stay on very long though. Wind would take it off.
Spray on chrome with a heavy coat of clear would be the best way to reproduce that look.

Chrysler chromed the entire grille first and then blacked out everything else afterward accept the ends of the fins

I am in agreement that the chrome edge/black grills existed, as well the silver ones from the factory. I've owned both types, although at the time, I never saw another set on any car.

I dont believe the entire grill was chromed first though. I recall the chrome almost being on top of the plastic, like a foil applique. On one fin, I recall there being a lift/wrinkle near one end.

Grant

I hadn't heard of a spring edition 68 fish before. All mfgrs do that sort of thing though.
That vacuum metalize chrome didn't stay on very long though. Wind would take it off.
Spray on chrome with a heavy coat of clear would be the best way to reproduce that look.

What made the Spring Special Barracuda different from other models was these few features:
1) it comes with the red reflective stripe that runs along the trunk lid between the two tail lights.
2) it comes with left and right side chrome and black gill mouldings behind the doors on the rocker panel inconjunction with the full length rocker mouldings.
3) it has the chrome(not argent) and black front grille inserts.
4) it has the wood grain insert on the dash and center console.

I am in agreement that the chrome edge/black grills existed, as well the silver ones from the factory. I've owned both types, although at the time, I never saw another set on any car.

I dont believe the entire grill was chromed first though. I recall the chrome almost being on top of the plastic, like a foil applique. On one fin, I recall there being a lift/wrinkle near one end.

Grant[/QUOTE

Hi Grant, sorry to disagree, I actually have a NOS grille insert here in my hand right out of the box, close inspection shows the grille was completely chromed first, then stage 2 of the process would consist of blacking out over the chrome.

Well,
here they are. Look ok to me. Working dings and dents out of aluminum is a tedious process. Not to mention getting the anodize off. They aren't perfect but look waaaaay better than before. They has some pretty bad dents in them but 90-95% removed most of them. All that is left is the striping around the surround. Repainted the surrounds with bright metallic silver. Grill inserts are charcoal gray with bright silver metallic on the edges of the fins and flat black in its factory areas.
The factory chrome was still pretty good too. Just some minor pitting where the headlight ring was touching the chrome part of the bezel.

I will tell you to scrap the whole SOS, WD40, Tooth Brush and Baking Soda cleaning theories!! I did those on the first two pieces for hours. On a whim I seen some Turtle Wax chrome polish for a few bucks so I picked it up and tried it. Wow, 10 minutes later I was finished with all the exterior chrome! That stuff really works and fast.

Attachments

• DSCN1980.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 645
  • DSCN1981.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 631
  • DSCN1982.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 709
Those really turned out nice. Lots of work, but it shows.

On the chroming method, I stand corrected.

Grant

What made the Spring Special Barracuda different from other models was these few features:
1) it comes with the red reflective stripe that runs along the trunk lid between the two tail lights.
2) it comes with left and right side chrome and black gill mouldings behind the doors on the rocker panel inconjunction with the full length rocker mouldings.
3) it has the chrome(not argent) and black front grille inserts.
4) it has the wood grain insert on the dash and center console.

I agree. The spring special model.

But I don't have any info that shows the center console being wood grain. That was a 69 thing.

Here's a 68 Barracuda Spring Special. The dark red reflective stripe between the upper and lower trunk trim really blends in on a RR1 Burgandy Metallic painted car.

Note: The area under the rocker spear and gills is supposed to be painted argent. It's incorrectly not painted on the restored car below (easy fix though).

Attachments

• FF10SatSm035.JPG
    126.3 KB · Views: 1,206
  • FF10SatSm116.JPG
    102.2 KB · Views: 582
  • FF10SatSm115.JPG
    52.7 KB · Views: 649
  • FF10SatSm109.JPG
    61.3 KB · Views: 567
  • FF10SatSm125.JPG
    68.4 KB · Views: 633
  • FF10SatSm118.JPG
    66.9 KB · Views: 626
  • FF10SatSm126.JPG
    90.2 KB · Views: 586
I agree. The spring special model.

But I don't have any info that shows the center console being wood grain. That was a 69 thing.

Here's a 68 Barracuda Spring Special. The dark red reflective stripe between the upper and lower trunk trim really blends in on a RR1 Burgandy Metallic painted car.

Note: The area under the rocker spear and gills is supposed to be painted argent. It's incorrectly not painted on the restored car below (easy fix though).

Sorry, I stand corrected on the center console.
The Barracuda pictured would definitely look better with the argent on the rocker panel, moulding looks out of place without it.

Sorry, I stand corrected on the center console.
The Barracuda pictured would definitely look better with the argent on the rocker panel, moulding looks out of place without it.

Also note the front wheel lip moldings to rocker spear picture.

There are two length rocker spears. They are also two different front wheel lip moldings.

One wheel lip molding will not go all the way to the bottom of the fender. And there are two length rocker spears.

Here's my car with the shorter wheel lip moldings and what appears to be the same length rocker spear at the burgandy car pictured above. This fender on my car is original with no repairs done to it. But it has been repainted.

Attachments

• FenderClearanceLg02.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 569
-
Back