68 Cuda neutral switch question

-

fishy68

Tyr Fryr's Inc.
Reaction score
Ok gents I have a question concerning my 68 Cuda' neutral switch and wiring on the 727 trans. When I bought the car some bonehead had the wiring cut off and it bypassed at the starter relay so it would start in gear. The car has a console which has a switch on it but when I ohmed it out seems to only control the backup lights. So even though the transmission has a 3 prong switch in it I'm guessing it probably should have a single prong switch in it with a wire going up to the relay. Can anyone verify this for me or tell me something different? I'm rebuilding the wiring harness and want it to be right.

Also can someone either post a pix (I know that's a longshot) of the wire routing of the wire leading from the trans. neutral switch up to the wiring harness so I know how the factory did it or give me a decent description.

Any help is much appreciated.

fishy68 said:
Ok gents I have a question concerning my 68 Cuda' neutral switch and wiring on the 727 trans. When I bought the car some bonehead had the wiring cut off and it bypassed at the starter relay so it would start in gear. The car has a console which has a switch on it but when I ohmed it out seems to only control the backup lights. So even though the transmission has a 3 prong switch in it I'm guessing it probably should have a single prong switch in it with a wire going up to the relay. Can anyone verify this for me or tell me something different? I'm rebuilding the wiring harness and want it to be right.

Also can someone either post a pix (I know that's a longshot) of the wire routing of the wire leading from the trans. neutral switch up to the wiring harness so I know how the factory did it or give me a decent description.

Any help is much appreciated.

I'm not sure if I can help you 100% fishy68, however I do believe 67 - 69 wiring is very close. :book: I have a book with pics, but it's all marked up. Yes..727 auto had the three prongs. The switch itself is grounded by the body. The "centre" prong go's to your starter relay block (G). Another one is your power feed which (in the book) shows coming off the 12v radio feed connecton. And the last prong go's "straight back" (except through connecters) to your backup lights. Your guess is as good as mine when it comes to the reason why anyone would make it that way. Could be..Bad switch itself/relay or one of the wires from the switch has a short. Also...sometimes the mech arm within the trans itself wears down and can't make a correct contact.

Good luck, keep us posted.

Anyone disagree????

Both my 68 used the single prong switch. The switch has one threaded prong w/nut, and the wire a loop to go over the threaded prong. With the unmodified harness the car will not start if disconnected. I pulled the 6/auto out and gave it away. When I put a 318/auto in it was out of a 73 Challenger. The switch had three prongs and did not work. I went to the JY and got one out of a 66 Barracuda and hooked it up. It is just one wire to the relay from the trans switch. Then the car would start.

gremlin said:
Both my 68 used the single prong switch. The switch has one threaded prong w/nut, and the wire a loop to go over the threaded prong. With the unmodified harness the car will not start if disconnected. I pulled the 6/auto out and gave it away. When I put a 318/auto in it was out of a 73 Challenger. The switch had three prongs and did not work. I went to the JY and got one out of a 66 Barracuda and hooked it up. It is just one wire to the relay from the trans switch. Then the car would start.

Thanks Gremlin. I thought they were one wire before 68 and went to 3 wire in 69 but it has been yrs. since I had seen one so I wasn't positive. I think like Signet says the 3 wire can used though if the wire is hooked up to the middle prong. I ohmed it out and it looks like it will work ok that way. I'm going to try to find a correct one wire switch though. NAPA no longer carries them I found out so the search is on.

Hummmm, now I wondering. Hope I didn't give fishy the wrong info. :silent:

69signetv8 said:
Hummmm, now I wondering. Hope I didn't give fishy the wrong info. :silent:
Don't worry about it Signet. I appreciate your trying. Your book probably showed the late 68 or 69 model. I just got back from Autozone and O'Reileys and they both told me something that NAPA didn't show in their books. That is in mid 68 they changed from the one wire switch to the 3 wire switch and the one wire switch is no longer available. My car is an early 68 model so that's why it has the backup light switch in the console. I'm gonna search the restoration places i.e. Laysons, Paddock, etc. and see if I can find the correct neutral switch if not I'll have to find a wiring harness connector at a junkyard and use a 3 prong switch.

fishy68 said:
Don't worry about it Signet. I appreciate your trying. Your book probably showed the late 68 or 69 model. I just got back from Autozone and O'Reileys and they both told me something that NAPA didn't show in their books. That is in mid 68 they changed from the one wire switch to the 3 wire switch and the one wire switch is no longer available. My car is an early 68 model so that's why it has the backup light switch in the console. I'm gonna search the restoration places i.e. Laysons, Paddock, etc. and see if I can find the correct neutral switch if not I'll have to find a wiring harness connector at a junkyard and use a 3 prong switch.

Good Luck Fishy69 :notworth:

Thanks Signet. Only place that has it is Layson's but they want $75 for it. WOW!!!!! I think I will see if I can find a plug at the junkyard for $10 and use my 3 prong switch. Nobody can see it down there anyway.

fishy68 said:
Thanks Signet. Only place that has it is Layson's but they want $75 for it. WOW!!!!! I think I will see if I can find a plug at the junkyard for $10 and use my 3 prong switch. Nobody can see it down there anyway.

:thumblef: :thumblef: :salut:

-
Back