68 Dart Gas tank removal

-

MileHighDart

Reaction score
So on a 68 Dart, how do I get the filler tube out of the tank?

Cant pull it out through the qtr panel because on this year it comes up to the inside of the panel and screws to the panel from the outside.

Thought I would just leave the filler tube in place and lower the tank and slide it off. But it doesn't seem to want to slide off the filler tube. Don't want to wiggle the tank around and pull on it too much with it still connected to my qtr at the other end.
There is also a single small vent tube that's connected to the upper end of the filler tube, and goes down along the filler tube and through the piece of rubber that is screwed to the floor. I cannot see any sign of this small vent tube from underneath.

How would you go about this ?

I think you can just wiggle the tank off the donut seal to the rigid filler pipe. The vent tube just ends at the pan.

remove the dust cover on the floor of the trunk that the filler goes though, loosen it and slide it up the filler
shove the filler far into the tank, as far as it can go
drop tank you might need to tilt it or move it towards the passenger side to get it out with the filler attached

I used a timber ( treated 4X4 I think ) to pry the tank down and left to right. It dropped off the filler tube onto a old tire without damaging the quarter panel. In the end to filler tube had to come out anyway. Aint no way to push the tank back up onto the tube with a new seal grommet there. Its a very tight fit.
The 3 screws at the door have special "anti theft" heads. Use needle nose vise grips to back them out a few turns from the inside, so your plier can grab the head outside.

... In the end to filler tube had to come out anyway. Aint no way to push the tank back up onto the tube with a new seal grommet there. Its a very tight fit...
No it doesn't. I've removed/replaced tanks several times without touching the filler tube. Disconnect the rubber gasket from the trunk floor (5 screws?). That gives more wiggle room. And the tank comes out. Same way to get it back in, except use a bunch of silicone lube on the pipe/grommet. It'll slide right in eventually.

Thanks for the ideas guys, hopefully I'll get back on it this weekend. Been busy with work and been sick for a week.

I used a timber ( treated 4X4 I think ) to pry the tank down and left to right. It dropped off the filler tube onto a old tire without damaging the quarter panel. In the end to filler tube had to come out anyway. Aint no way to push the tank back up onto the tube with a new seal grommet there. Its a very tight fit.
The 3 screws at the door have special "anti theft" heads. Use needle nose vise grips to back them out a few turns from the inside, so your plier can grab the head outside.
Read this the first time and thought it sounded a bit silly to be using lumber to pry on a car. Fast forward to today, I'm dropping out the gas tank and I needed some way to drop the tank and separate it from the filler tube; of course I resorted to a length of 2X4. Thanks to all you shade tree mechanics showing the way!

-
Back