68 Dart GTS 340 w/Kelsey Hayes front disc brakes

-

MICHAEL A SCUDDER

Newb
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
What is the correct master cylinder to use on a 1968 Dodge Dart GTS 340 that came with Kelsey Hayes MANUAL front disc brakes /rear drums? Year One, Classic Industries and Inline Tube don't really specify. (Does have 1" bore.)
As far as front brake rubber hoses I'm kind of running into the same thing. Did they use the same rubber hose on front manual Kelsey Hayes discs as front drum brakes?

Thank you
Mike

Last edited:
I can't answer that but a few members here have been using the one listed in this tread.
The Kelsey-Hayes Disk Brake Swap Thread

Master Cylinder.JPG

The front brake hoses are different between drum and disc. I can't remember when the hoses changed, but, they went from a hex fitting on the removeable bracket end, to a D shaped fitting sometime in either late '60'or 1970. Just get the ones that match your bracket, the other end that fits the frame bracket is the same.

What is the correct master cylinder to use on a 1968 Dodge Dart GTS 340 that came with Kelsey Hayes MANUAL front disc brakes /rear drums? Year One, Classic Industries and Inline Tube don't really specify. (Does have 1" bore.)
As far as front brake rubber hoses I'm kind of running into the same thing. Did they use the same rubber hose on front manual Kelsey Hayes discs as front drum brakes?

Thank you
Mike
I got the front hoses from rock auto

The master cylinder listings in all the current parts books are screwed up, that's why you are having a problem. Here is a list of disk brake MCs. All of these MCs are physically interchangeable, it is just a question of bore size. Of course, the problem is convincing the vendor to actually tell you the bore size — a lot of times it isn't in the description. Reminder: larger bore equals less pedal travel, more pedal effort. Smaller bore means more pedal travel, less pedal effort. Factory A-body K-H manual disks used the 1-1/32 bore, which makes for a very hard pedal. A lot of people use the 15/16 bore to get a little less effort. I have one car with each, you can get used to it either way. Sorry the formatting is a little wonky on this table.
Screen Shot 2021-05-18 at 11.44.47 AM.png

I have a 1974 Dart MC on my KH brakes. Works good but as said, pedal is harder and right at top of peddle. If it ever acts up I may try the one in post 2.

-
Back