68 Dart Hinge Question

-

johns68dart

Longtime Mopar Fan
Reaction score
I bought some refurbished hinges for my Dart from a gentleman on this website, and they look great, however, I just noticed that the top bolts of the hinge on the body is, apparentenly, only accesible from underneath the dash. Any hints or tricks on doing this chore? Thanks, John

Attachments

• WP_000271.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 65
Disconnect the battery. Take the fuse box loose from the dash frame unless the gauge cluster is already out of the car. There should be a pad of insulation covering the access hole to the upper hinge bolts. If you choose to keep that pad in pristine condition, you'll need to take the dash apart. If you're not too worried about it, carefully pry it loose from it's glue and work a ratchet, 3" extension, and a 9/16" socket up inside to unbolt the hinge. Be prepared with the bandaids as everything is made of razor blades behind that dash! The right side isn't quite as bad. If you're thinking of replacing the glove box liner, now's the time. It's fairly easy to work through that opening or else you're standing on your head again to pull the insulation and unbolt the hinges. The fun part is adjusting them!

I have always just taken the kick panel off and reached up in there with a ratchet. Need to take the sill plate off to take out the kick panel.

-
Back