68 Dart Vinyl top trim removal

-

JKrebs

68 GTS
Reaction score
I am in need of some help on this one. I am replacing my vinyl top and I have the front and rear glass trim figured out but the trim on the rear deck filler has me a bit confused. I removed the screw on the end of the trim on the driver side and the trim just came off easy. However there are other mounting points that are tight and I do not want to damage the trim. I am sure it is not cheap! It looks like the mounting tabs on the car just grab the trim. See picture below. If this is the case do I just apply pressure from underneath? this seems like it would bend the underside of the trim outwards. I did search and could find nothing on this exact trim removal. Thanks!!

View attachment 20160127_102431.jpg

Attachments

• 20160127_102439.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 126
On my 69, the clips that hold the trim on are held on the car by a nut. You have to crawl into the trunk, and you will see them. Not all are easy to get to, like the ones under the package tray/sail panel. If you need new clips, RT specialties has them.

Thanks for that. I just had a look and can see the screw from below. The nuts are buried in sealant. When you removed yours did the screw want to turn while you removed the nut? I'm thinking that they will want too. Grab it with some needle nose?

There is a piece inside the trim that should stop it from turning (it's not just a screw head)

That explains why the new clips I looked up at RT Spec look different then the screw heads in the picture above. The little surprises I uncover as I go never seem to end. These clips make sense to me now with the help of you both. Thanks again!

That explains why the new clips I looked up at RT Spec look different then the screw heads in the picture above. The little surprises I uncover as I go never seem to end. These clips make sense to me now with the help of you both. Thanks again!

Seal those that go through the body so you don't get water in the trunk.
Silicone works fine as does window calk putty, or anything else like that.

The screw heads under the lower side trim are left from the plastic clips that they held on.

I will probably just use silicone. Oddly enough the screw heads were able to get behind the trim and do a good job of holding on the trim. I see that the side clips are going to be a real joy to get to from underneath.

-
Back