68 Hurst Hemi A Bods

-

red446

Reaction score
Hey guys, Does anybody know for sure what gears the factory used in the 4spd Dana cars? I know they used B-body Danas, and i have one but it has 10 in brakes not 11's. Also does anyone know how to decipher the casting #'s on the danas, or where I can find any or all of this info. Thanks very much Guys.

The Dana-equipped cars used a 4:88 rear gear in a 30-splineaxle/carrier pkg. & standard Limited Slip differential., 7290 type universal joint yoke

Thanks Hemicop, is that the same for the Hurst A bodies? And do you know what size drums were on them?

The Dana-equipped cars used a 4:88 rear gear in a 30-splineaxle/carrier pkg. & standard Limited Slip differential., 7290 type universal joint yoke

Yes, I was referring to the Hurst cars (only hemi/A-body combo built in '68). As to the brakes, they were 11ins. to carry this a little further, the standard B-body axle width was kept but the spring mounting pads weremoved in 1.30ins on each side to adjust for the modified 41.44in A-body/Hemi mounting center width.
The spring mounting pad was mounted with a downward angle (front) of 6-degrees on the left & 2.5-degrees on the right on both axles.

Wow, thanks very much Hemicop, very informative. But what was the reason they used 2 different pitches on the spring pads

Yes, I was referring to the Hurst cars (only hemi/A-body combo built in '68). As to the brakes, they were 11ins. to carry this a little further, the standard B-body axle width was kept but the spring mounting pads were moved in 1.30ins on each side to adjust for the modified 41.44in A-body/Hemi mounting center width.
The spring mounting pad was mounted with a downward angle (front) of 6-degrees on the left & 2.5-degrees on the right on both axles.

To be honest, I don't really know. IMO it'd be to compensate for launching the car as torque would twist towards the passenger side. My car doesn't have the different angles on the perches but that's only because I wasn't aware the discrepencies were that great. Personally, I wouldn't worry about it. That's the sort of thing a collector would check if he was going to buy an original car & even then there's no guarantee he'd find it. Those cars were pretty much thrown together & we all know back then quality control wa----errrrr, -----not the best?

-
Back