69 barracuda; what's it worth?

-

65_valiant

Reaction score
It's originally a /6 car, not sure of trans. Currently has small block/4 speed setup in it. Carpet is stripped out, the rest of the interior is likely rough are gone. will need at least passenger front floor pan replaced, rails I'm told are solid, some bondo in body. The trunk floor looks to have some rust, but not rusted through, good wire brush clean up and coating would probably cure the issue.

I havent seen the car in person yet, just wanting a rough idea on what value to place on it if the only issues were what I've listed and the rest is solid. I'd think 700 decrease in price per frame rail needing replaced/repaired would be an OK place to be?

65 valiant...

you didn't say "what kind of car" you are looking at - a fastback, coup or convertible.

a "rough" non-driving fastback could range from $1500 to $5000

a "rough" coup would be in the same range as a fastback

a "rough" convertible is probably worth a little more - say $2000 to $6000.

without more information and PICTURES showing body style, motor/trans, rust issues, parts missing, original valuable parts still in place, etc., it's impossible to give you anything but a wild guess.

It's a fastback. 318/4speed in it now. Factory /6 car. These are the pics I have avaliable currently. You can see, at least I'm pretty sure, that the passenger front floor needs replaced.

Attachments

• 00h0h_7CUDOCL20wv_600x450.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 341
  • 00I0I_hSRCyl45IS7_600x450.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 318
  • 00K0K_haecgK8ldXL_600x450.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 346
  • 00w0w_7HfrfI3TeeP_600x450.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 361
So...I paid $2500 for mine, 3 years ago. It is also a 69 Fastback. I had NO rust issues as it was an original and lifelong Arizona car. Factory 318, 904 auto column shift and A/C, numbers matching. As a bonus, it has the 'slickback' vinyl roof treatment. Biggest problem was that it had a '68 header and grilles grafted onto the front so I had to hunt down and pay for all of the '69 front end stuff.

Even though the steel was solid, everything made of not-steel was destroyed by the desert sun. Rubber seals, gaskets, O-rings, the upholstery, the carpet, the headliner, hoses, belts etc etc etc.

To "right" these wrongs, I've put about 7 thousand (that's just a wild guess) into it. I've been working on it for 3 years. If you want the full biography on the build, search "biohazard" in the members' restorations section.

Using that as a reference (and going off your photos) I doubt I would have gone over $1500 for the one you're looking at. It needs a full interior, lots of rust repair, paint doesn't match, nothing original drivetrain-wise and a 'so what?' 318 that's in 'who knows?' what condition. Long term project, no doubt.

...and I'll bet it smells awesome.

Body work gets expensive real fast. Replacing a frame rail is not for the faint of heart. Unless you have the real ability to do this work yourself, be prepared to spend some money! Give it an honest assessment and don't look at the car through rose colored glasses.

I didn't buy it, and likely won't. I just got back in state yesterday and since I live in the same area just stopped by to take a quick glance. It will need at minimum a new floor pass side, who knows what under that. The floor was chopped into to get the 4 speed to work. ALL of the gaskets around the windows are in bad shape and will need replaced. The lower rear quarters have bondo, I'm not a body guy so I don't know how much exactly, but it's started to Crack aND separate from the body. Dash frame is there, and the guts to the dash cluster, but that's about it. I would guess it's going to cost at least 10-12 grand to get it back into a semi respectable driver condition car. And that would be about as much as the car itself would really ever be worth being original base car with /6 column auto car.
I've wanted a 69 barracuda fastback for 20 years probably. Ever since I had my 64 back in high school sophmore/Jr year.
As Teeth and Tires said. Anything over 1500 would be out of the question. I'd be better off, and money ahead, to buy one already done.

I didn't buy it, and likely won't. I just got back in state yesterday and since I live in the same area just stopped by to take a quick glance. It will need at minimum a new floor pass side, who knows what under that. The floor was chopped into to get the 4 speed to work. ALL of the gaskets around the windows are in bad shape and will need replaced. The lower rear quarters have bondo, I'm not a body guy so I don't know how much exactly, but it's started to Crack aND separate from the body. Dash frame is there, and the guts to the dash cluster, but that's about it. I would guess it's going to cost at least 10-12 grand to get it back into a semi respectable driver condition car. And that would be about as much as the car itself would really ever be worth being original base car with /6 column auto car.
I've wanted a 69 barracuda fastback for 20 years probably. Ever since I had my 64 back in high school sophmore/Jr year.
As Teeth and Tires said. Anything over 1500 would be out of the question. I'd be better off, and money ahead, to buy one already done.
Probably a wise decision. Your money and aggravation ahead if you spend a little more and buy a better car.

-
Back