'69 Console, auto, removed.

-

bacaruda

Reaction score
Keeping shifter for now. Any of you guys do this? And how did you cover shifter?
Jim.

You guys doin' about as good as that "used to be" board.
Jim.

I'm doing the opposite. I have auto with column shift that I want to convert to a floor shifter with console. I pick up a console on eBay, but don't have a shifter yet. Someone on the old board did this using a Hurst or B&M rachet shifter. I remember seeing pics, but I forgot to save them. Anyone remember who did this? Are they still around?

As for your question, what to cover the stock shifter, I would build a box out of 3/8" plywood. Doesn't have to be square, you could taper the sides. When you get it the way you like, cover it with some speaker box carpet. Attach it to the floor pan with some L brackets.

Thanks DART, at least there's somebody out there. I'm not doing the wood route. That's in my boat, and the trunk divider. I want to make
an aluminum top, brushed. Took out console because I'm spoiled for
a cup holder, and need room on the trans, tunnel to mount a Halon
bottle.
Don't know yet how to close the sides and ends of the aluminum top.
IDEAS?

Hey buddy!!

I ran a B&M ratchet shifter that came with a plastic cover. I shaped it to the hump and it looked nice. I will see if I have any pics around.

How about this?

1298554.jpg

Click link for details.
http://go.mrgasket.com/ProductDetai...1&majID=825&minID=&selection=23&minselection=

Oh yeah, welcome to the board!! :salut:

Dart, now that shows promise. But I bet it's not wide enought to clear
the bell crank on the shaft going through the tunnel. But gonna check that out.
Thanks, Jim.

Not wide enough by 2", not long enough either but didn't measure that.
I'll come up with something nice, just looking for ideas from "done that".

i was looking at ratchet shifters for my car... an interesting idea! but i dont want that nice LUMP on my steering column from where i moved the shifter...

i may end up doing this later on. let me know how it turns out for you ;)

-
Back