69 dart amp gauge

-
The simplest way to disable it is to disconnect the leads and bolt them together. Insulate the junction very well.

This and other threads show how to convert to an aftermarket voltage meter.
Ammeter to Voltmeter...who does it?

You can leave it alone and run a wire from the alt directly to the lug on the starter relay that goes to the battery.

Be sure to add a proper fuse or fusible link.

The benefit of this is the car is now fed by 2 bulkhead connectors vs the OEM 1 connector.

Or you can leave it alone and learn what its telling you.

Best mod to reduce the max loads on the bulkhead connectors is a headlight relay system.
Headlights always draw a lot of current, and most headlights sold since the mid 70s draw more current than the originals.

You need to do a couple of things. Go look up the MAD electrical article to find out why, take apart your bulkhead connector and repair it, AS IT IS STILL GOING TO BE USED for power into the car, and INSPECT and then bolt and insulate the two ammeter wires together

Then, instead of the mad article, run some large ga. wire from the alternator stud to the Starter relay "big stud" or better yet, as direct to the batter as you can get.

AND PUT a breaker or fuse in that line. If you don't want to buy expensive wire, run 3 or 4 no 10's in parallel, and depending on how large your alternator is, go from there. I'd use at least no.8

How do you delete the factory amp gauge? Thanks in advance.
If you mean to bypass the current going through the gauge, just take one of the wire connectors off it's post, and add it to the other post and double nut it. If you want to remove the gauge from the cluster, connect the two ammeter wires together as already mentioned, pull the face plate from the cluster (after disconnecting the battery and removing the cluster from the dash frame), and remove the gauge. You can probably come up with a volt meter to go into the same space, or, clock? I'd just keep the gauge myself.

-
Back