69 Dart Custom

-

standup303

Reaction score
Hey all,

Ended up selling my 74 Dart Swinger and grabbed this sweet 69 Dart Custom! Want to be able to look back at what I’ve done so going to try and post up every time I do something.

I wanted a car that was mostly complete and after buying the 74 and realizing I did not like the “beak”, I fell in love with the 67-69 Darts. This puppy was 10 hours each way in Oklahoma from Denver. Came setup as:

Mild 360 LA
8 3/4” rear with 4:10s

IMG_5021.jpeg

I bought the car while I had the motor out of the 74, so wanted it tuned up and didn’t have the time. Took it to Wild Child Customs to have it tuned up, they replaced the distributor cap and some plug wires, set timing, tuned the carb. Ran a bit better.

Then took it in for alignment, that helped a lot but the car still pulled to the left.

Once the 74 was sold and I had time to put into the car, I started on the steering. I jacked the front of the car up, cranked it, wheels immediately pulled left. Read up on here to tap the adjustment block back and forth (I’ll call it)and bam, problem solved.

The steering column was rough so I installed a new column bearing and coupler top/lid.

A few more things I’ve done so far:

removed the tints from the windows.

I had purchased some new ESPO +1 rear leaf springs for the 74, I swapped them to the 69 before I sold the 74 and bought some new QA1 adjustable rear shocks to match the front.

Last edited:
My goal is to get the car running and driving more to my liking, there’s a few rattles to fix, etc. so my current project is:

Removed seatbelts, carpet, seats. Wirewheeled the entire floor and coated in KBS Rust Seal. Really good stuff, hard as a rock.

Once dried I installed 80mm Kilmat throughout the floor and doors.

Installed the stock carpet back.

Got some nice buckets from the local pull a part, had to fab some Scat brackets up a bit but they fit great.

IMG_6227.jpeg

IMG_6342.jpeg

IMG_6371.jpeg

IMG_6370.jpeg

Also installed new Summit plug wires, plugs, have new Wesco seat belts on the way. Lubing/adjusting windows as I go. New door locks soon.

Installed new kick panels with new speakers and have new 6x9s for the rear.

There was also a bad vibration, I dropped the transmission and found someone installed a neutral balancer converter on the stock flex plate. Bought a B and M flex plate for external balanced 360LA and had a brand new Hughes converter sitting around. Fixed the issue right up.

The trans still makes a grinding noise in any forward for reverse gear. I may drop it again and do a rebuild over my 11 day Xmas break. I’ll have to see how motivated I’m feeling.

Overall plans are to keep freshening it up. New seals here and there, new hood pins, move the battery to the trunk.

I have a 440 setup I was gathering parts for the 74, almost there, trying to decide if that’s going in or possible gen 3 hemi swap. Very undecided on what I want to do engine wise.

Last edited:
Not sure when/if this is going in. Bought a builder motor and have made some good progress.

Currently have:

440 block-local machine shop did all the work
Magnafluxed
Bored/honed .030 over
Align honed cam tunnel
Align honed crank tunnel with ARP bolts
New pistons, rings, arp rod bolts
New distributor bushing
Crank turned .020 under with new .020 under bearings
Fully balanced
452 heads

Also have a rebuilt 727 with big block bell housing
A Body oil pan kit from mancini
Schumacher tri y headers
Pypes Street Pro 2.5” exhaust header back with H pipe

Still need:
Schumacher engine mounts
Carb or Sniper setup
Find a cam that’s actually in stock

Pretty sure the radiator and fan setup in the car will work. Have all the other small parts. Would need to do the heater blower mod.

Or go gen 3 hemi hmmmmmm. That whole money thing starts to play a factor.

IMG_6324.jpeg

Found some rust on the package tray, trunk floor, wheel wells that I’m not super stoked on.

IMG_6494.jpeg

IMG_6495.jpeg

IMG_6496.jpeg

IMG_6497.jpeg

IMG_6498.jpeg

IMG_6499.jpeg

-
Back