69 Dodge Dart Venting

-

AussieDart

Reaction score
Hello Everybody,
I have been reading various threads and have just managed to confuse myself regarding the sort of venting setup that my 69 Dodge Dart should have.
As per the attached picture there is a small tube that connects at the top of the filler tube inside the trunk. It loops around and exits the trunk by following the filler tube towards the fuel tank. The odd thing is that I assumed it would run back to the fuel tank. However from what I can see after lifting up the boot around the filler tube it seems to run straight down into the rear frame rail!!
I would like to know what the correct setup should be. The fuel cap is non venting as per the attached picture. Was this the correct factory setup or has someone made modifications in the past? The reason I ask is because we recently had a really really hot day and the car was parked in my drive. I came out and there was fuel flowing out of the fuel cap down the side of the car. Appreciate any advice you may have. Almost forgot she has the original 273.
View attachment Vent 1.jpg

View attachment fuel cap 1.jpg

Hello Everybody,
I have been reading various threads and have just managed to confuse myself regarding the sort of venting setup that my 69 Dodge Dart should have.
As per the attached picture there is a small tube that connects at the top of the filler tube inside the trunk. It loops around and exits the trunk by following the filler tube towards the fuel tank. The odd thing is that I assumed it would run back to the fuel tank. However from what I can see after lifting up the boot around the filler tube it seems to run straight down into the rear frame rail!!
I would like to know what the correct setup should be. The fuel cap is non venting as per the attached picture. Was this the correct factory setup or has someone made modifications in the past? The reason I ask is because we recently had a really really hot day and the car was parked in my drive. I came out and there was fuel flowing out of the fuel cap down the side of the car. Appreciate any advice you may have. Almost forgot she has the original 273.
View attachment 1714870395

View attachment 1714870396

sounds correct to me. my 68 fastback was the same way. I got it out of the frame rail, and along side the frame w/ a rubber extension hose on it. also added an atmosphere vent to the system. still don't want over fill and park on a grade tho. (not that I`m driving it yet) .) these cars had problems like this when they were new!

That is the factory set up. I would blow out the vent tube. I have never seen or heard of that happening before.

The venting from my fuel filler neck in my 69 Dart is routed exactly the same way. The vent tube goes down through the trunk floor and for all intents and purposes vents to air.

i had mine plugged by a mud wasp and couldn't get the fuel cap off.
When i did their was a giant vacuum release.
Prior to finding this i couldn't get the engine to start and i have heard
of this collapsing of fuel tanks

^^Others are correct.^^ That cap should be ABSOLUTELY sealed. If it's leaking, it's because the gasket, or cap, or fuel neck is damaged. The vent is simply an open ended tube, ends inside the frame rail.

This is right out of a factory service manual. You can download them FREE from MyMopar

http://www.mymopar.com/index.php?pid=31

2cmugso.jpg

-
Back