'69 Fargo W100

-
Yesterday I managed to do a 20 point turn with a chain hoist and my '75 F250 to get the W100 out from behind the shop. I needed to make room to shove back the '68 340 Cuda and the '67 notch I may be picking up. Plus it's easier to pull the 318/4 speed combo where it is now then it was behind the shop. I've got a strong 360 that I may just replace the 318 with for now. Need to do all new brake components, fuel line, clean out the tank, go through the electrical, and replace the clutch/free up existing.

Pics, you can see the original color under the red.

Attachments

• IMG_20141213_105050.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 510
  • IMG_20141213_105122.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 511
  • IMG_20141213_105133.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 507
  • IMG_20141213_105152.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 503
  • IMG_20141213_105206.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 490
  • IMG_20141213_105229.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 505
  • IMG_20141213_105028.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 497
  • IMG_20141213_105018.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 506
The Fargo is cool, no doubt. How bout a pic of the F250?

That shorty Power Wagon looks sweet....I can't remember ever seeing one before,never mind a a Fargo...Gonna have to check in on the progress on that one.

Same body style as my dad's 68 though his a lil more modified

Yep, they were this body style from '61 - '71, with slight changes such as '61 - early '65 had quad headlights, late '65 - '67 had the pie pan single headlights, '68 & '69 had this grille, and '70 & '71 had a slight change in grille. Also '61 - early '67 had the smaller back window.

Let's see a pic of your dad's.

Got the 318 pulled out today. What a nightmare, the clutch splines were stuck to the input shaft, and I couldn't freely spin the engine to undo the bolts for the pressure plate to flywheel. With some help from my father in law, we were able to use a large pry bar and the engine hoist in different positions to break it free. May as well do new front brake lines while the engine is out. The 360 is ready to go in and I have a 360 flywheel in trade of my 318 flywheel.

I have the 360 ready to drop in, just need to get the clutch pedal to move a little better. I had the flywheel turned today, and picked up a new clutch kit for it. I drilled the flywheel today to balance it to use with the 360, we'll find out if I did it right once it's running.

Cool truck. That will be neat to get it running again. Can't be many of those left out there.

I popped off the old ring gear because of tooth wear and installed a new one, then cut the input shaft down 5/8" because it was too long to make it into the crank. Got the motor installed today, tomorrow will be hooking it up to get it running.

Still need to install the clean tank, sending unit, fuel line, change the master cylinder, do the full brakes, hook up the rear driveshaft, and figure out an exhaust.

I was constantly having to lift the hood off the truck and put it back on, so I got fed up with it and robbed the hinges from my '64. This truck didn't have hinges when I got it. Well, I realized I couldn't bolt them onto the hood since someone clearly hacked the hood up to get the original nuts out. I ended up just welding a nut to a piece of 1/8" flat and flipping it upside down, then welding it to the hood. There wasn't a lot of metal to weld to, but it should hold fine. At least now I can open and close the hood.

Today I bolted the starter back up, ran the battery cables, bolted up the inspection covers, cleaned out the cab, ripped out the carpet (too bad, it looked like it was nice, just covered in rat **** and dead spiders), vacuumed it out, cleaned up the seat, bolted in the gas tank, and put the seat back in.
Looks like the previous owner cleaned up the floors before I got to them and sealed them up. The seat has been reupholstered, and I was able to find the arm rests and door panels behind the seat.
I used a gas tank I had in the back because the existing was full of rust. The one in the back is an earlier one, and has a filler tube coming out of it. The one from this truck just had a hole for a separate tube to run into it. I just cut down the separate tube and I'll use a large hose to connect the two.

Old tank

New tank with the cut down filler tube

Got some more done including putting the carb on, air cleaner, fuel pump, new rubber fuel lines, rad hoses, etc.
I also took the passenger door off to check out the door hinges because it sagged so bad the door couldn't even close. Turns out the previous owner melted the hinge and pin with a torch, and put it back in the truck. I welded a plate onto each side of the hinge, drilled a hole into each, installed bushings and a new pin, and put it all back together. The door closes great now. I also took the latch apart and cleaned it up, it was seized and the lock button and key lock wouldn't work, but it all works great now.

Got the engine all together, ran new fuel line, replaced the rusted out water heater with one I had that works (the red canister in line with the heater hoses), upgraded the old pre '70 style vintage regulator with the '70 up style, installed electronic ignition, swapped out the tiny exhaust manifolds with some larger 360 ones, and welded in some exhaust. I used a pair of glass packs I had to try to keep the sound down but I may as well have not used anything at all, I forgot how loud those are. Yesterday I poured a little has down the carb and she fired right up. I advanced the timing a little and it idled beautifully.
Now it just needs some brake work and I need to free up the clutch pedals.

Got the engine all together, ran new fuel line, replaced the rusted out water heater with one I had that works (the red canister in line with the heater hoses), upgraded the old pre '70 style vintage regulator with the '70 up style, installed electronic ignition, swapped out the tiny exhaust manifolds with some larger 360 ones, and welded in some exhaust. I used a pair of glass packs I had to try to keep the sound down but I may as well have not used anything at all, I forgot how loud those are. Yesterday I poured a little has down the carb and she fired right up. I advanced the timing a little and it idled beautifully.
Now it just needs some brake work and I need to free up the clutch pedals.

What exactly is the red canister, I have never seen that before.

-
Back