69 rear drum question

-

roccodart440

Reaction score
Currently i'm still sporting the rear drums on my new car. They are a diffrent shape than I have seen in the past. They have a significant bell/flare to the inside? As in when you get past the shoe surace it grows in depth and diameter.

HAs anyone seen an a body drum like this? What is this for? I've never seen one like this.

Sounds like you have original factory Mopar drums. They did have a bell shape to them & aren't available any longer as far as I know. The aftermarket replacements look completely different.....

I still have the original bell shaped drums from my Demon that we saved when switching the car over to big bolt pattern. I can take a couple pics if needed....

They are called "Canadian" drums, alluding to the assertion that the flange keeps snow from building up around the brake assembly! Does it work? We're they only available in Canada? Of course not, it's only a nickname that is about as useful as the extra weight they add!! I have a few extra sets of them too, as all my cars have them!!

The bell is designed to act as a heat sink. They were original equipment on cars sold all over North America. My '67 had them, my '71 still has 'em.

The bell drum on 10 inch rear brakes was first used in 1970 from the factory. 69 back did not have the bell on them from the factory

No these are not NOS drums. I was asked on here and by phone if they were for sale. I said $75 a pair. Guess it was to high. I was asked if they were NOS. They are not. But where will you get drums that are 40 yrs. old in this condition. I threw the junk drums out years back. If I wouldn't use them on my car they were tossed in the junk pile. I have these parts for a long time.

The bell drum on 10 inch rear brakes was first used in 1970 from the factory. 69 back did not have the bell on them from the factory
My 69 340 car with disc's had them on. I didn't buy it new but I was the second owner 30k

Attachments

• 69%204spd%20dart[1].jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 236
I'm pretty sure the "bell" drums I have are 9", but I'd have to check them to be sure :scratch:

I remember 2 of the drums I took off my 72 were bell shaped. I think it was the front ones, but it could have been the rears, I'm not 100% sure anymore. 9" either way. They were way way way past being usable so went off to become toaster ovens.

Check you Chrysler parts book. The 10 inch bell type rear brake drum part number did not even exist in 69 and neither did that bell style10 in drum it was not available for production until the 70 model year car according to Chrysler corporation. I guess you would have to argue with them if you disagree.

My 69 340 car with disc's had them on. I didn't buy it new but I was the second owner 30k

They are called "Canadian" drums, alluding to the assertion that the flange keeps snow from building up around the brake assembly! Does it work? We're they only available in Canada? Of course not, it's only a nickname that is about as useful as the extra weight they add!! I have a few extra sets of them too, as all my cars have them!!

I'm considering putting them on the lathe and giving them a little shave...

I have the 'bell' drums (small bolt pattern) that are u/s. Do the 'normal' 10" drums fit? and where can I get them -again small bolt pattern.
Cheers, Monaro.

Check you Chrysler parts book. The 10 inch bell type rear brake drum part number did not even exist in 69 and neither did that bell style10 in drum it was not available for production until the 70 model year car according to Chrysler corporation. I guess you would have to argue with them if you disagree.

I Am not nearly as smart as you with the numbers . I can only confirm what I have seen with my own eyes. I had many 69's and I have seen the bell style on some of those cars. This blue 69 I know had them for sure. The complete rear is still here. None of the 68's I had ever had them. Usually if the axles had balance holes they had the bell style drums. If they only had the flange nut access holes they were standard drums.

Yes the axles were also different in the early 8 3/4 rears.

I have both styles if you would like some pics. The axle flanges are different

I've had them on 68 and 69 Barracuda's, all the way up to a drum brake 75 Dart Sport. The 68 as far as I know was all original, a Pennsylvania car when new. The 69 may have had a rear change, the 75 appeared to be original.

I had a 70 Dart Swinger 318 that had them in 10". I believe the flare was there to help them cool.

I don't seldom if ever just go by the numbers myself i also go by eyes on documentation and thousands of hours of research including documenting survivor cars with low miles some parked with 20 thousand miles or less on them. I worked in a Chrysler garage starting in 73 and we changed drums on cars that had sometimes 15 to 20 thousand miles on them especially performance cars from people riding the brakes and they could have been changed sooner than that from overheating and cracking! Never say never with Mopar either and who is to say they where not used experimental on LATE built 69's or as a SOP part which is always possible. I know there are differences on axles, have had both here through the years, still have some and opinions on those also vary but i never mentioned anything about those in any of my posts

I Am not nearly as smart as you with the numbers . I can only confirm what I have seen with my own eyes. I had many 69's and I have seen the bell style on some of those cars. This blue 69 I know had them for sure. The complete rear is still here. None of the 68's I had ever had them. Usually if the axles had balance holes they had the bell style drums. If they only had the flange nut access holes they were standard drums.

Yes the axles were also different in the early 8 3/4 rears.

I have both styles if you would like some pics. The axle flanges are different

-
Back