[SOLD] 7 1/4 10" Backing Plates

-
Status
Not open for further replies.

RustyRatRod

I was born on a Monday. Not last Monday.
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
72   0   0
Contact seller
Here is a nice pair of backing plates for 10" shoes for the A body 7 1/4 rear axle. Kinda gettin hard to find and a nice way to upgrade your brakes if you're retaining the 7 1/4" rear axle. This is for the pair. Includes factory Chrysler wheel cylinders that can probably be rebuilt. Still better than China knockoffs. Located in middle Georgia.

$120 SHIPPED to the lower 48.

DSCF2409.JPG

There are two versions of those backing plates. One for the 10 X 1 3/4" brakes, and another for 10 X 2 1/2" brakes.

There are two versions of those backing plates. One for the 10 X 1 3/4" brakes, and another for 10 X 2 1/2" brakes.
Would you know how to tell the difference? I do not.

Yours may be the narrow brake version. I'm trying to remember if the '73-6 A-body with the 7 1/4 rear used 5 hole backing plates or not.

Yours may be the narrow brake version. I'm trying to remember if the '73-6 A-body with the 7 1/4 rear used 5 hole backing plates or not.
The '73 & up LBP used a shorter housing to accommodate the wider brake shoes, I'm not certain there's any difference in the backing plates, if that helps.

thought 71/4 was 9" with only 4 hples ? thats what the one i have out of a 71 scamp ?
Yes, your year would have the small bolt pattern and either 9" or 10" narrow 1 3/4"brakes. In '73, a 7 1/4 could be small bolt pattern with 9" brakes, or large bolt pattern with the 2 1/2" wide 10" brakes. The axle bearing changed on those big bolt pattern axles, and IIRC so did the backing plate from 4 holes to 5 holes (like the B and E-bodies have). I could be wrong on the backing plate holes however....I just can't remember for sure....but that seems to stick in my mind. Someone here is bound to have a '73-6 A-body with the big bolt pattern and a 7 1/4 to verify. I just don't have any factory parts manuals for those years now as I don't own one of those cars anymore.

the 2.5 backing plates have the 5 holes and will fit the 8.75 and the 1.75 off the 7.25 only have 4 holes and will not bolt up to the 8.75.

I can verify that the LBP 7.25 I took out of a '76 Dart 6cyl 4dr w/discs has the 5th stud at the bottom, which makes sense, same backing plate as every other Mopar with 10×2.5" shoes.
*EDIT* I will add that the '73 360 Duster 8.25 rear I have has 5-hole backing plates, but only has 4 studs/holes in the housing flanges.

Last edited:
Ok. I see the mods don't give a flying **** about comments in MY for sale ad. So to hell with it. I'll take um to the dump. Too bad. These are hard to find.

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back