7 1/4 rear swop

-
Reaction score
Hi everyone
I have a 69 dodge dart GT with the dreaded 7 1/4 rear.
What I would like to know is.....

Let me know what rear I can replace this with that will bolt right in with out too many changes and a rear that would keep the small bolt pattern.

The car has a 2bbl 273 automatic stock.

You're limited to the 8-3/4 if you want to keep the SBP. Not only the 8-3/4 but the A-Body 8-3/4. I don't think the 8.25 was used in the A-Body before 73 so it never had a small bolt pattern. If I'm wrong on that it'll be just moments before someone corrects me.

You're limited to the 8-3/4 if you want to keep the SBP. Not only the 8-3/4 but the A-Body 8-3/4. I don't think the 8.25 was used in the A-Body before 73 so it never had a small bolt pattern. If I'm wrong on that it'll be just moments before someone corrects me.

You are 100% correct. To use an 8 3/4 the op would need to have a shorter drive shaft.

the dreaded 7 1/4 rear.
Really? What kind of problems have you had? Mine is 50 years old and works fine, but I don't race. Just Curious. 8 3/4 are expensive, unless you find a deal on FABO! :lol:

I wasn't going to mention that. I've seen two 7.25s go out in my life. One was in the Valiant that Dad had in 63. He pulled a trailer all over the country with it. The other was a Cuda I bought. The guy said he got stuck in the snow. He also liked to do a lot of neutral drops in the name of lighting the tires up. Other than that a 7.25 is plenty strong for a stock to mild 273.

Other than that a 7.25 is plenty strong for a stock to mild 273.

Agreed, if you aren't planning on racing or any spirited driving the 7 1/4 will be just fine as long as it's in decent shape. When you start adding horsepower and delivering some abuse to the drivetrain is when the 7 1/4 needs to go.

-
Back