70 318?

-
man I wish someone near me was just gonna throw out a 318, I'd snatch that thing up for sure.

Attn: Anybody in NC...if you have FREE 318's -I will take them.

Stroked340: If your 340 is really stroked, it's no longer a 340 and your point is not even valid anymore. You can stroke a 318 as well to a 390.

Free 340's?? Have never seen one. 318's have killer potential and people that think 340's are superior are stuck in the 70's. Why?? because performance parts have come a long way. A 318 today can easily run as good as a 340 IF you know what you are doing. The 340 only has a 22 cubic inch advantage over a 318. 22 more cubes and the 340 is superior? The 340 has high compression, better heads, better manifolds and a better camshaft. NEWSFLASH...This stuff can all be adapted to a ...yes..! boat anchor FREE 318!! People that say 318's can't run are clueless.

I see people wanting stupid prices for 340's and I mean just for the block!! I sold my last 340 to buy a 360. A 360 has more potential and it's more bang for the buck because I bought the 360 and pocketed the money over having that magical "340' number. While the 340 is legendary and I like them, the point is that there is no best Mopar engine made and it's all about what you like. 340 blocks for $500+?? That' IMO is a complete ripoff because you can buy a complete 360 for that and have money left over like I mentioned.

Oh yeah, when the engine is free, that is more money that you can pump into the build of the engine. You can have your magical cubic inch engine and I'll take the horsepower!!

The "main" reason behind the higher priced 340 is it was in cars that had special value, like the 340 Swinger, 340 Valiant, AAR Cuda, cars like that, the run of the mills had 318s & slanters, plus the 340 had a limited production, did they run strong, yes they did, but only the earlier years (pre-72), 73 340s were dogs IMO, the 73 360 Dart Sport was a stronger runner then the 73 340 Duster, they killed it by 73, I had a 70 340 Valiant 4sp. car, it was an original, it did good.

Seems that I've historically missed out on killer , complete engine deals , and it irritates the 5h1t outta me .

Back in 1996 , I started working at a dealership . The guys in the parts dept were real gear heads ( with no favour towards any particular make ) , and they had some awesome daily drivers ( 1970 SS396 Nova ; 1969 Camaro SS396 ; 1970 Road Runner 440 +6 ; 1968 Z28 ) .

The guy with the Road Runner told me something that made me cry :
He bought a 1970 Charger in order to ship it to Sweden , so a guy could re-body a rotted out 1970 R/T 440 Six Pack Charger . The car he bought had a freshly-rebuilt 318 and a Trans-Go kitted 727-A ; 100 miles on them .
He yanked the 318 / 727 from the Charger ( in order to pay less tariffs , as the car was sold as "parts" ) and put 'em up for sale .

No takers . Not even at $100 , then $50.00 , then $20.00 , then FREE (!!) .

After a few months , he had to --- start crying now --- THROW THEM OUT because no one wanted them !!!

Of course , my cursed *** missed out on this unbelievable combo by 3 FUC*ING DAYS !!!

The 318 that's in my daily driver 1972 Coronet is ( eventually , as funds , time and facilities permit ) going to get rebuilt as follows :

- Minimal overbore ( really , most likely just a cleanup of .010 , as the bores look
clean ) ;

- Slight increase in compression , about 9.5:1 ;

- Edelbrock ( or whatever I can get a hold of ) intake ;

- 600 cfm carb ;

- Double roller timing ;

- H.V. oil pump ;

- massaged , stock heads ( maybe install 1.88 intakes ? Not sure yet ; don't want to spring for new heads ) ;

- Painted Chrysler Engine Blue ( including the intake manifold ) , with an open element air cleaner , stripped of its chrome , and painted Chrysler Engine Orange .

So , if anyone's got a good 318 or 360 they wish to rid themselves of ...

Did I miss another boat anchor thread?

Damnit!

Stroked340 is spewing idiotic nonsense again! Never listen to anyone who doesn't know how to put his own engine together.........

Free 318? I take all I can, and find good homes for them, why? Because, a guy has a hard time wearing a good 318 out!
A 70 MAY have a steel crank, if it is a HD type motor, until 71, from what I have seen, if it has the single plane intake, it more than likely has a steel crank. Anyway, grab it, even if it wont go to 4.04, most can go to 4", and them pistons are CHEAP!

take it last year me and my dad went and picked up...... hmm what was it? OH YA A FREE DODGE RAMCHARGER WITH A COMPLETE FREE 340 YUP NOT 318 FREE 340 just to let you know stroked they are out there ;)

I got a few 340's I would give away to the right deserving home...... Blocks only of course.......... Lord knows I wont live long enough to kill any, and the only toy for myself I am planning to build is my duster, which will get a 4" stroke 273. (eat that stroganoff340)

I really love my 318's and 273's, they get GREAT MPG, and live FOREVER!!!!!!

I bought a 78 W100 short bed, that supposedly had a 318, for 300 bucks when I was a kid. I was climbing around under it one day, and it was a 340, with the 2bbl manifold. LOL.

Still got that motor too.

hey, im newto mopar, in my venture in building a dart, i now have aquired 4 318's in various states, and hey if i have them on hand, its easly acsessable parts if need be. if you have the space, why not.

Did I miss another boat anchor thread?

Damnit!

Stroked340 is spewing idiotic nonsense again! Never listen to anyone who doesn't know how to put his own engine together.........

Free 318? I take all I can, and find good homes for them, why? Because, a guy has a hard time wearing a good 318 out!
A 70 MAY have a steel crank, if it is a HD type motor, until 71, from what I have seen, if it has the single plane intake, it more than likely has a steel crank. Anyway, grab it, even if it wont go to 4.04, most can go to 4", and them pistons are CHEAP!

I got a few 340's I would give away to the right deserving home...... Blocks only of course.......... Lord knows I wont live long enough to kill any, and the only toy for myself I am planning to build is my duster, which will get a 4" stroke 273. (eat that stroganoff340)

I really love my 318's and 273's, they get GREAT MPG, and live FOREVER!!!!!!

I bought a 78 W100 short bed, that supposedly had a 318, for 300 bucks when I was a kid. I was climbing around under it one day, and it was a 340, with the 2bbl manifold. LOL.

Still got that motor too.

I'll take a free anything from you, but you already know this ha ha.

Well, i will say this, i forgot about it lol, i sold my 318 out of my dart last dec., i think i got 100.00.

I'll see what happens on this 318, he owns a wrecker service, its already loaded on a truck, i have no way of transporting it to my storage, he had it on a stand last week, just never said anything, was looking at his 413 & 440 he had, so i'm sure it'll see the scapper because i don't think he will bring it to my storage for free.

When I was in elementary school my principle yelled at me cause I wouldn't take something free cause it was broken. He said if its free take everything you might find a use for it later. I still live by what he said all these years later. No matter what it is if its free and if there's more than one take them all and sort it out later. I'd even take a free SBC even though I own a Mopar. It might turn a few bucks later. No motor is a boat anchor if it still rotates. Got a 318 in my Dart. like it a lot. Wish I had the cash to really bring out it potential, but of coarse I'll take a free 340, 360, or 383.

It would be nice to at least put it on the local CraigsList for awhile to see if someone will come and pick it up, or someone local from here. Total waste to scrap a perfectly good motor. They don't make 1970 318's anymore, and to call one a boat anchor is pure ignorance.

where do you guys find these awsome deals?!? 318's around here are $400+ on craigslist

A coworker of mine gave me a Ford 302. I have no idea what I will do with it, but a free motor is a free motor. I figure at some point the right pickup with no motor will come along.

[QUOTE}

Stroked340 is spewing idiotic nonsense again! Never listen to anyone who doesn't know how to put his own engine together.[/QUOTE]

Once again your talking s--t i never said i DIDN'T know how to put them together,i get more peace-of-mind from paying a gentleman who has probably FORGOTTEN more about performance motors then you'll EVER know:bootysha::bootysha::bootysha:

I generally steer clear of these debates, but Stroked, that post didn't exactly strengthen your case.

I had a barber that had forgotten more about cutting hair than I would ever know. I'm currently looking for a new barber.

I generally steer clear of these debates, but Stroked, that post didn't exactly strengthen your case.

I had a barber that had forgotten more about cutting hair than I would ever know. I'm currently looking for a new barber.

Good for you....

[QUOTE}

Stroked340 is spewing idiotic nonsense again! Never listen to anyone who doesn't know how to put his own engine together.

Once again your talking s--t i never said i DIDN'T know how to put them together,i get more peace-of-mind from paying a gentleman who has probably FORGOTTEN more about performance motors then you'll EVER know:bootysha::bootysha::bootysha:[/QUOTE]

Yeah, sure, right, uh huh............ So you're "chicken"............

Us that DO know how, like the peace of mind we get knowing that WE didn't mess it up, because WE double triple quadruple checked. Wouldn't expect you know that kind of peace of mind though. :toothy10::toothy10:

Once again your talking s--t i never said i DIDN'T know how to put them together,i get more peace-of-mind from paying a gentleman who has probably FORGOTTEN more about performance motors then you'll EVER know:bootysha::bootysha::bootysha:

Yeah, sure, right, uh huh............ So you're "chicken"............

Us that DO know how, like the peace of mind we get knowing that WE didn't mess it up, because WE double triple quadruple checked.[/QUOTE]

Well good for you you get a "star" today....

where do you guys find these awsome deals?!? 318's around here are $400+ on craigslist

They are out there, just got to surf for them. Shoot I just bought a package deal of 2 complete running 318's for $50. I just needed the timing chain covers for a 340 and 360 project. Tried to give them away and got no takers so I scrapped them and got $60.

I just bought a package deal of 2 complete running 318's for $50. I Tried to give them away and got no takers so I scrapped them and got $60.

I hear that we don't even bother to try and sell them around here.. straight to the scraper they go,or boat yard...

I hear that we don't even bother to try and sell them around here.. straight to the scraper they go,or boat yard...

How can you consider the 318 a boat anchor when the 340 is nothing but an overbored 318? Same STROKE, true it may have beefier internals and better heads.....BUT the foundation is from a 318....So in essence to call a 318 a boat anchor is to call the 340 the same thing ....Now if you're talkin building the two then the size (318, 340) changes at boring of the engine at the most common startin point of .30 over.....So even then you don't have a true 318 or 340......For the average person the 318 can be built for rather cheaply and is fun to drive on THE STREET ....Considering speedin tickets and other fines and the fact that majority of the time the engine won't see 6000 or more than the 318 can can get the job done smoke tires, chirp tires AND sound like a 340 AND have decent gas mileage, that can be compared to havin a GREAT woman cook, clean, an f*ck on time( ok jus jokin round but u catch the drift).....I too like every other TRUE MOPAR LOVER would want a 340 in our stables along wit the other various engines...It's even better in this day an age when you come by a whole engine FREE !!!! Now talkin boat anchors I could see if this were a chevy forum and we were talkin 305 or 307 to the 350!!!!! This comin from a guy wit a Demon wit a 318.....Had to put my thoughts in.....

He don't get it........ Hell, over 6K, I would put the money on a 318 before a 340, but he don't get it........ Somehow owning a 340 makes you "special", just like owning a HEMI makes you call a guy puts money into 318's, "losers"..............

The closet Chevy guys are coming out of the woodwork around here!

-
Back