'70 big block Swinger

-

Sublime12

'70 383 Swinger
Reaction score
I've owned this car for about 10 years. Originally, this car was a slant 6/ auto. When I bought it, it didn't have a motor or a transmission. I traded a 72 Demon, 318/auto for the Swinger. We rebuilt a 383, and found a nice 833 4 speed. We also did all the body work ourselves and had it painted by one of my friends. The body work didn't turn out very well, and I got consumed with other projects. I was pretty discouraged on how it looked. Well about a year ago I got enthused again. So I found a guy that could do the body work. Well I just got it back, and the snow melted off so I backed it out for a couple pictures.
My plans are, to install the interior, (buy the pieces i'm missing), install the 1.03" torsion bars i have in the garage, install the sway bar I have in the garage, and I would also like to find an A body 8 3/4. I don't remember where I got the one that is in the car, but it's too wide. I'd like to run some different wheels, but i either need to find a different rear end or narrow the one i have.

Attachments

• IMG_0258.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 557
  • IMG_0260.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 550
  • IMG_0262.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 543
  • IMG_0263.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 550
Nice looking car...gonna be bad *** with a big block in it. That hood looks good on it, not a commonly seen hood, but I like it.

While the car was gone to the body shop, I found high back bucket seats out of a 70 Swinger. I bought new foam and covers. I took the seats apart and sand blasted and repainted the frames. I think they turned out good. I need to order some dynamat so I can install my new carpet and seats.
The hood is the SRT style from usbodysource. I still need to do some alignment on it, we just threw it on to haul it 100 miles before it started to snow.

I installed the front and rear bumpers today, as well as the front valance. I also let out the torsion bars for fun... Looks much better.

:d

Attachments

• IMG_0266.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 499
  • IMG_0267.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 491
  • IMG_0268.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 493
Car looks great ...I love the hood , I tried to get USBODYSOURCE to build me a hood with the SRT scoop like on thier site but was told they had no plans to build one anytime soon. I look forward to following your progress. Keep up the good work !!!!

I like it! Can you tell us about the hood? Keep us posted on the progress, good luck

That's a very nice Dart! Tell us more about the 383 install, I'm planning one for my Scamp and I need all the help I can get....:D

i like it even with the wheels the way it sits and look is killer.. what size are the wheels and tires...:prayer::prayer::prayer:

Thank you for all the compliments! The 383 is a very mild build. It's a '67 383 out of a Chrysler. Rebuilt to stock 383 compression. I used 906 heads, and a pretty mild cam. I got an Edelbrock torquer intake manifold for $50 and and a holley 750 DP for cheap. It has schumacher tri-y headers. I haven't really driven the car yet, so I haven't been able to play with carburation. I was thinking of trying a different intake man. and carb, but I've read that people have had good luck using these parts so i'm going to give them a whirl before I spend more money.
The wheels are off of a 99 Chrysler 300. They are 17" and I think they are 7" wide. It's been so long I can't remember anymore. I'm glad someone likes them. Although, I would like to run some billet aluminum Boyd Coddingtons, 18" in the rear and 17" in the front. I know some people are cringing at the thought as they read this, but i'd like a pro-touring look. I need to find an A-body 8 3/4 housing close to wyoming or attempt to narrow the one I have.
Yesterday I borrowed the pst torsion bar removal tool from my dad, so today or tomorrow I'm going to install my 1.03" torsion bars.
Also, yesterday I disassembled the seat tracks and cleaned all the old grease out of the rollers and regreased. I'm going to repaint them today and the seats should be ready to install. I'll post some more pics.

More on the hood. I used to have a hemi-dart hood scoop on the stock hood. I regret cutting a hole in the stock hood but I did it. I had some guy paint it flat black and i got it back and it was more semi-gloss black. So it never looked right. I stumbled across the SRT hood, and I thought it was cool. USBODY was actually good to work with. It took a long time to get the hood, but the quality seems really good. I had a few questions and they really made sure I was happy.

I installed my pst 1.03 torsion bars today. They came out easy. I'm going to install my sway bar soon

Attachments

• image-4072150272.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 346
Very nice work! Did you use the Schumaker mounts? How about oil pan? Is that the mopar 187 / 699 stamped pan? Any issues with idler arm rubbing?

Very nice work! Did you use the Schumaker mounts? How about oil pan? Is that the mopar 187 / 699 stamped pan? Any issues with idler arm rubbing?

Thank you! Yeah I used the schumacher motor mounts. slant six to b/rb. Yeah that's the 187 oil pan. I found it in the classifieds in Mopar Collectors Guide years ago. Long before i discovered FABO. The hardest part back then was rounding up all the correct clutch linkage for the 4 speed. No issues with the idler arm rubbing. I did have to grind down the collector flange on the driver side about 1/8" so it wouldn't touch the torsion bar.
Next week I'm going to get some sort of sound deadening material so I can lay down the carpet and install my seats. It should look like more of a car at that point!

Nice looking car, would love to see more pictures of under the hood. I am trying to make some decisions on how to stuff a big block into my swinger project and would like to see how you got it all in there!

-
Back