70 dart 318/904/7.25

-

Firedart

Reaction score
Ok so I've been going back and forth on what I should do. I've read a lot but the main thing I'm getting is you need to change this or that....I have a 318/a904/7.25 in my 70 dart. My question is how can I get the best performance out of what I already have. I would like a street/strip build. I already know the rear end I have is small and I would love to be able to put a 8 3/4 in the car but can't find/afford one right now. What is a good set up for what I have? I have the motor torn down and the trans is out. I've already started on a disc brake conversion on the front. Plan on replacing pitman, idler, end links etc....I need help knowing what combo of parts to get for the motor and trans. I do not care about fuel economy as this will not be a daily, but I still would like to be able to drive to work or to the track from time to time. Is it even possible to make a "fast/quick" car with the rear I have?.....I know people have probably asked or had the same problem as I am having, but every time I try and find something about it, people just say get a new motor/ rearend. Any help would be awesome!!!!

Help us by telling what you can afford to spend.

Help us by telling what you can afford to spend.
It's not so much about what I can afford to spend as to what I have to work with at the moment. I have found a 400/727 for $450 but I know there would be ALOT more to do to make it fit. I will be able to afford like $100 a week to throw at the car.

It's not so much about what I can afford to spend as to what I have to work with at the moment. I have found a 400/727 for $450 but I know there would be ALOT more to do to make it fit. I will be able to afford like $100 a week to throw at the car.
So, it's not about the money, then it's about how long your willing to wait. In 20 weeks you'll have enough to put a stout 360 magnum with a set of EQ heads in your car.

That's exactly my point. If I wanted to put in another motor right now I would go ahead and buy the 400. I want to know can I build what I have not wait 20weeks and build a motor I don't have.....the whole point of the thread was to build what I have not get a new motor/trans/rear end.

That's exactly my point. If I wanted to put in another motor right now I would go ahead and buy the 400. I want to know can I build what I have not wait 20weeks and build a motor I don't have.....the whole point of the thread was to build what I have not get a new motor/trans/rear end.
I just posted a 318 build I did for under 500.00 bucks. Read it.

One reply is confusing.... are you OK with waiting 20 or 30 or 40 weeks and saving up the $$, or not? If you don't want to wait, then the immediate budget that you have to spend is the question. The answers to recommended parts depends a lot on what you have to spend. Putting in better pistons with higher CR would be a good first step for the 318 (it has a low CR from the factory) but if you don't have the $$, for just racing and hard hot-rodding, you can skip that and save some dough. You can put the $$$ into the right torque converter to work with a hotter cam instead. Then comes the question of heads....

It will be fine to build the 318 that you have now; the question will be if you be happy with that or want more? Of course you can always build the 318 and sell it later and build something bigger. I can recall that decision point a few decades back: build up the 302 I had, or get and build a 351C? I jumped ahead to the 351C and was sure happy I did.

You can make the car a lot faster with a stronger motor and it will last until the 7.25" rear axle fails. It almost sounds like you are heading down that road anyway so I'd go for it and enjoy; you can always replace the axle when it goes out.

Is the 400 in known good running condition? What fit problems do you anticipate? This seems like a good option to me.

One reply is confusing.... are you OK with waiting 20 or 30 or 40 weeks and saving up the $$, or not? If you don't want to wait, then the immediate budget that you have to spend is the question. The answers to recommended parts depends a lot on what you have to spend. Putting in better pistons with higher CR would be a good first step for the 318 (it has a low CR from the factory) but if you don't have the $$, for just racing and hard hot-rodding, you can skip that and save some dough. You can put the $$$ into the right torque converter to work with a hotter cam instead. Then comes the question of heads....

It will be fine to build the 318 that you have now; the question will be if you be happy with that or want more? Of course you can always build the 318 and sell it later and build something bigger. I can recall that decision point a few decades back: build up the 302 I had, or get and build a 351C? I jumped ahead to the 351C and was sure happy I did.

You can make the car a lot faster with a stronger motor and it will last until the 7.25" rear axle fails. It almost sounds like you are heading down that road anyway so I'd go for it and enjoy; you can always replace the axle when it goes out.

Is the 400 in known good running condition? What fit problems do you anticipate? This seems like a good option to me.
The guy I have been talking to about the 400 said I could hear it run but it is out of the car. He said it came out of a 69/70 New Yorker. I'm not sure but what I could find was that the 69/70 New Yorker came with a 440 not 400. The only casting number he gave me was 400-1 he hasn't sent me the whole number yet. I was trying to go an easier route from not having to change a lot on the car. Like drive shaft or rear end. An 8.8 rear I thought would work to hook up the 400.....I want to go the easier route which ever that might be. Since I already have what I do, I thought it would be easier and quicker to get on the road. If I was to get the 400 I'd make it a stroker motor for sure.

One reply is confusing.... are you OK with waiting 20 or 30 or 40 weeks and saving up the $$, or not? If you don't want to wait, then the immediate budget that you have to spend is the question.

Precisely the question I asked, but got no answer except 100 bucks a week. So, if he is willing to wait 2 weeks, it's a 200 dollar budget.
To the OP, we are very helpful here, but YOU have to TELL us what you have to spend. We cannot guess. One hundred bucks a week makes us ask how long your willing to wait. If you don't help, we can't help.

Precisely the question I asked, but got no answer except 100 bucks a week. So, if he is willing to wait 2 weeks, it's a 200 dollar budget.
To the OP, we are very helpful here, but YOU have to TELL us what you have to spend. We cannot guess. One hundred bucks a week makes us ask how long your willing to wait. If you don't help, we can't help.
Sorry to not clarify a budget, it all depends on the hours I can get at working 3 jobs and trying to have a kid. If I work more hours it could be 100-400 a week. It just depends on the hours I can work and keep the wife happy. I'm not to concerned with price. Ideally I'd like to stay under 3k I just don't have all 3k right now. would it be worth it to do the stroker kit? I've rescued this car from sitting in a shop for 15years and trying to bring her back to life. Just want realistic ideas for what I can do with what I have. I really don't know a good direction to take with this build, that maybe I can add to as time goes on.

Ok so I've been going back and forth on what I should do. I've read a lot but the main thing I'm getting is you need to change this or that....I have a 318/a904/7.25 in my 70 dart. My question is how can I get the best performance out of what I already have. I would like a street/strip build. I already know the rear end I have is small and I would love to be able to put a 8 3/4 in the car but can't find/afford one right now. What is a good set up for what I have? I have the motor torn down and the trans is out. I've already started on a disc brake conversion on the front. Plan on replacing pitman, idler, end links etc....I need help knowing what combo of parts to get for the motor and trans. I do not care about fuel economy as this will not be a daily, but I still would like to be able to drive to work or to the track from time to time. Is it even possible to make a "fast/quick" car with the rear I have?.....I know people have probably asked or had the same problem as I am having, but every time I try and find something about it, people just say get a new motor/ rearend. Any help would be awesome!!!!

How fast is "fast" for you? I have a 318/904/7.25 and enjoy driving it almost every day.

My opinion: I would focus on keeping the car on the road with brakes, suspension, etc. while upgrading the 318 with parts that will transfer over to a hotter engine down the road.

Like Ignition upgrades and Cooling system. Then, when you drop that new rear and drivetrain you are good to go.

Then don't let a couple of weeks stop you from getting what you want. Really, what is the real difference if it's done in 3 weeks vs. 5? It's going to cost you at least 500 bucks to do a low cost build as I did. And time.
As mentioned above, if you use the 318, it's going to appreciate a decent torque converter, especially with your gears.
If you want a quick run down of a parts list for your 318, then here it is:
4bbl (125.00 - 225.00 2nd hand bolt and go)
4bbl intake (dual plane 2nd hand 125.00)
around a factory 340 size cam/lifter kit (new 110.00 cheapy from summit)
headers. (135.00 cheapies from summit)
gaskets - (50.00 bucks)
Timing chain - (35.00 summit double roller)
Heads - minimum a valve job. Could always home port. $$$$ unknown......

Slow down, you are all over the place.......want's, idea's, dreams are causing you great confusion!

what you can do now that is low dollar would be pick up a factory 4 bbl intake out of a salvage yard, hopefully it will still have carb bolted to it, if not look for cheap carb and rebuild it. Put a set of 360 iron exhaust manifolds on it, might be able to get them for free. This takes care of more air in and out. This is easy-peasie simple low buck hot rodding that has been done since the day after dirt was invented.

Next, you could do a cam swap, something on the small side; ask here and you'll get ALOT of suggestions........one that comes to my mind would be a stock 360.

You could have fun driving this right up till you break the 7 1/4.....a less expensive axle swap would be an 8 1/4

-
Back