70 Dart Clutch Removal

-

Go Mango

Never enough beer...
Reaction score
I’ve got the A833 out of my Swinger, but the bell housing and everything connected to it is proving to be a pain in the ***. Is it possible to remove and replace a clutch while leaving the bell housing in place?
The last clutch I replaced was in a 71 SS454 chevelle, and that was 40 years ago, so I really don’t have a clue what I’m doing.

I’m suffering from lack of wheel time this summer.

image.jpg

Absolutely. Drop the cover and starter, pull the trans. Might want to resurface the flywheel and balance it while you are there.

Unfortunately, the top starter bolt is what started this thread. I’ve got Hooker competition headers, and they completely suck to unbolt to move out of the way. I can get that starter bolt out, but I’m not sure about getting it back in without moving the header. I realize I may have to, but I’m looking for advice.

You should be able to change the clutch with the starter installed. Even the flywheel as well. Just less wiggle room.

1970, 340, 4 speed, 3.91 gears. More or less unrestored, just repainted and new interior.

Should be good. My stuff was all stockish. Have you tried yet? Anything in the way coming down out of the bellhousing?

I see the exhaust is loose. How are you supporting the engine? Make sure you're not leaning on the distributor.

Well, long story short is that 2 weeks after I replaced both head gaskets, the clutch completely failed. It was on its way anyway. Pulled the tranny and found out it was almost dry. So it’s going to get all seals replaced and checked out before I put it back in. So I’m dropping it off tomorrow, and thought I may as well finish taking the old clutch out this afternoon. So at this point, all I’ve got out is the throw out bearing.

Well, long story short is that 2 weeks after I replaced both head gaskets, the clutch completely failed. It was on its way anyway. Pulled the tranny and found out it was almost dry. So it’s going to get all seals replaced and checked out before I put it back in. So I’m dropping it off tomorrow, and thought I may as well finish taking the old clutch out this afternoon. So at this point, all I’ve got out is the throw out bearing.

Good luck. Did you mill the heads flat before installing the new head gaskets?

Good luck. Did you mill the heads flat before installing the new head gaskets?
Nope. The engine has been apart (professionally) several times with very little miles. At the very first sign of white exhaust, I shut it down and dug into it. There were no signs of any problems, and it was really clean, like new.

Nope. The engine has been apart (professionally) several times with very little miles. At the very first sign of white exhaust, I shut it down and dug into it. There were no signs of any problems, and it was really clean, like new.
And it’s running like champ right now. Better than it has since I bought it.

Check or replace the pilot bushing
It’s located inside the crank where the trans shaft goes in
Thanks, I’m planning on it. The clutch kit from Brewer’s didn’t say that it came with one so I bought one. Turns out it did so now I have 2 of them.

I always loosen the nut on the bottom of the engine mount when I remove a transmission. If you have rubber mounts it can tear them. If you have solid mounts it can break the ears off the block.

-
Back