70 Dart Grille resto (or any plastic grille)

-

Dartswinger70

Reaction score
being a 70 dart owner I have a few grilles in my parts stash of various driver quality. My question is what is the best way to re attach the plastic mount tabs?

and has anyone tried reinforcing with metal and pop rivets?

Over the years I have seen the JB weld,plastic weld glue methods but I am not sure that will last.

A common thing is to "zip tie" in places...

Thoughts? Opinions?

I do realize the plastic grille crowd may be a small group.:)

If you have a spare grill that is just busted all to crap and too bad to fix, you can use it to make a paste/glue to fix others. You get a broken piece and scrape shavings off of that piece into a glass jar....like a baby food jar. Then you mix Toluene into it a little at a time till it makes a gooey paste with no lumps. Prior to doing that, have the pieces you want to put back together cleaned at the joining edges, and V out the top and bottom of the crack line a little, with the edges away from the crack itself feathered back some. Use the paste you made up from the old grill shavings thru the entire length of the crack, and on the top and bottom parts that you V'd and feathered. Hold your pieces nice and straight until they set up, or make a jig to hold them with clothes pins or binder clips. Let the glued parts dry and then smooth out the excess just like you would body filler. You just repaired your grill with the same material it was made out of, and the repair is very strong. Practice on some scrap pieces first to get the process down before going live on your grill. Hope it works as well for you as it did for me in the past. Good luck!

:thumbsup:

Like JD says get a spare busted grille or if you still have your tabs....use permatex (black )plastic welder....it's amazing....2 part abs epoxy that will not let you down....I've had it break beside the repair 4 years later from deer...but not on the repair...JB weld (plastic welder)is ok but not as good

-
Back