70 dart swinger build.

-

Firedart

Reaction score
I just bought a 1970 dart swinger. I'm looking to make it a street/strip car. I have the stock motor/trans/rearend. My question(s) is would it be better to stick with the 318 and build it. Or do I choose a 360 and build it. If I did build a 360 what's the best set up for the most power. What rear end/ trans gear ratio should I go to? I'm very new to the mopar scene. This will be a long term build from the ground up so any advise is very welcome. Anything from brakes/suspension to motor trans rear end would be a huge help.

Budget? Primary driving factor behind building a car is how much can you afford? If your on a tight budget,then a use what you have approach is reasonable.

Well this will be a long term build. I just bought the car on Saturday. I currently don't have a budget set because it will be a little bit at a time.

Most built engines are gonna make peak power in the 5500-6500 plus range and the bigger the cid the more potential hp at any given rpm. So definitely 360 or even 440 or bigger depends on the desired power level. A good street strip engine in that peak rpm range will make about 1.1 -1.5 hp per cid to use as a guide line.

Welcome to FABO. I too have a 70 Swinger with a 318 and I also have a 318 roller block and a I am working on getting a 360. There's lots of info here. Have fun. toolamnmike

If you go 360 route, get a roller cam block. Something like a 750, Air gap intake, edlebrock heads, 10:1-10.5:1 CR and 275 or 285 ish roller cam at least 3.91:1 gears or more.

I'd definitely go with a stout 8 1/4 at the least,better yet the 8 3/4..good compromise gears are 3:55 ;trans,the 727 will be strong in mostly stock config,but the 904 can be built just as strong for more $$,and use less h.p as well.There are factory o.d versions of both,and they will fit with mods.The engine,well more cubes is always better but it also depends on what you can find yes? For me,it was somewhat difficult to find a good useable small block in my area,but I knew of a great source for big blocks,and ended up wheeling and dealing for a 400/727. Yes it's a lowly smog motor,but it makes for a great stroker base!

congrats on your new purchase! I suggest do a search and read all the info here on this subject. and realize lots of different opinions to say the least. most opinions are correct, but choose what suits your needs and budget.

-
Back