70 Disk to 74 Disk conversion

-

koryliss

Reaction score
Anyone upgraded these? Looking for comparison of results.... which setup is preferable (weight/stopping/etc)?

Thanks,
Kory

I have cars with both setups. I haven't weighed them so I can't tell you which on is lighter. As far as stopping I can't tell any difference between the two cars when I drive then. I would suspect the later setup is a little stronger only because of the larger upper ball joint.

Chuck

Kory, Replacement parts are a lot cheaper and easier to find for the 73 and later stuff.

Weight difference is minimal.

The 73+ set up has the mentioned benefit of parts availability and many more wheel choices.

Resto stuff for 72 and down cars, then maybe the SBP disc set up.

If the car is a driver, go BBP set up would be my suggestion.

Weight difference is minimal.

The 73+ set up has the mentioned benefit of parts availability and many more wheel choices.

Resto stuff for 72 and down cars, then maybe the SBP disc set up.

If the car is a driver, go BBP set up would be my suggestion.

Kory---

Look in earlier threads for the prices and availability of the factory 1965-72 Kelsey Hayes 4 piston caliper and disc brake setup. K-H rotors are available from O'reilly's, Autozone, Napa, brakewarehouse.com and Summit to name just a few. Prices for rotors run $39.99 to $92, for Centric, Raybestos or Wagner rotors. Summit even has slotted and drilled SBC rotors for $79 each.

Calipers are available and can be upgraded with stainless steel sleeves to prevent any rusting in the piston bores. Brake pads and hardware are also available for reasonable prices, you just have to patient and look at the sources previously mentioned.

The only advantages to moving to the BBP from the SBP is there are more wheels available for the BBP 4.5" circle and the upper ball joint.

Most guys find the SBC cars with drum brakes, which are a perfect candidate for the BBP 4.5" conversion.

There are more SBC 4" pattern wheels coming on the market, check some of the other threads about wheel availability.

The factory SBC K-H 4 piston disc setup works great when properly maintained. It weighs less than the 11.75 BBC setup.

Just remember --when you convert from SBC to BBC, you have to include the expense of doing the rear axles, and new wheels.

I have the SBC 4" K-H factory disc setup on my 1971 Duster 340 and I am happy with the performance. I still use the factory rallye wheels.

Good luck in whatever you decide.

I think the 4 piston KH calipers are easier to swap pads on, but I think the sliding caliper, LBP is a little more forgiving of rotor warp. Remember for LBP, you need to get a 73+ upper control arm to accomodate larger upper balll joint. Ditto comments from others on ease of finding wheels & repair parts for LBP.

-
Back