70' Duster /6 torsion bar upgrade

-

sixbanger225

Reaction score
I posted this question not long ago but it only went out to one member...I think. I don't do this very often so I'm still learning on the site.
Any way, I want to improve the drivability and driving stability on my /6 duster. The /6 bars are so damn slushy! I see used 340 a body car bars on ebay but don't know if they're worth buying ..about $100 or so. I really can't afford new ones at this time but should I wait anyway or would used ones be ok. I don't drive the car hard...just normal every day stuff.

Thanks all!

I would recommend a factory sway bar from a 1967-72 a-body. this involves changing the lower control arms to units that have the sway bar tab provision. at this time you should install new bushings and also check and replace the strut rod bushings.

When I first got my car it was like driving a boat it leaned so much in corners, so I put 1.03 bars in it and it made so much difference I decided I really didn't need a sway bar at all.
Point is, bigger bars can make a TON of difference. (especially on a budget)
If you want the soft ride without the sway then a sway bar might be the way to go, but if it's just too soft overall spend your money on bigger bars.

Then there's the part where you take it apart and find out you need to spend even more on stuff like bushings, ball joints and stuff like that.

Do you know what size bars are in it now?
They are marked on the ends with a number.
I have the set I took out of my V8 car sitting here (893's I think) but if you live in Glendale CA instead of Glendale AZ it might not be worth shipping them to you.

Just went through the whole front end on my 69 Dart. Save up $ and get bigger torsion bars, sway bar and I highly recommend front disc brakes if you have 9 inch drums. My slant 6 dart handles awesome and stops great. You will be amazed the difference upgrades will do. I used all factory stuff and the best part is I built it all buying almost everything from members on this site.
Thanks FABO !!

I have used 340 bars (892 + 893) plus all stuff to do conversion. I have done this to many of my daily slant 6 cars. call , text or email anytime for more info. located in CT time zone change
8604168434 or [email protected]

My duster started life as a 6 cyl car. I now run big block with all lite weight components, same weight as a small block. I run 340 bars with Strange 10 position adjustable shocks. The car rides nice drives well etc. It is not a corner carver, was never intended for that, but does hold the road.

-
Back