70 Duster Starting Issue

Discussion in 'Electrical and Ignition' started by rferjo, Nov 13, 2017 at 10:51 PM.

1. rferjo

rferjo New Member

Local Time:
    3:17 PM
    70 Duster 360 - engine "cranks" but won't start with the key. Jump it at the relay and it runs just fine with key in the run position. Electronic ignition, even had to run a temporary push button start at the relay. HELP! PLEASE!

2. 67Dart273

67Dart273 Well-Known Member

View My Photos
    Local Time:
    Did you change the wiring? Get a diagram/ service manual, go over to MyMopar and download one, free

The ignition switch has TWO ignition power terminals "sort of."

IGN1 "run" is hot ONLY in run, comes from the switch, through the bulkhead connector (possibly bad connection) and powers the ignition system, alternator field (70/later) and the voltage regulator. On some cars it feeds smog doo dads, and the electric choke if used

IGN2 the ballast bypass circuit, is brown, comes from the key and through the bulkhead and runs to the coil+ side of the ballast resistor. It is hot ONLY during "cranking" and IS THE ONLY SOURCE of ignition power during cranking

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Pawned

Pawned N.R.A. Lifetime Member - And damn proud of it

Local Time:
      4:17 PM
      Have you gotten yourself a valid schematic of the car? It is kind of dumb to try to troubleshoot the wiring without it. I think I have a valid set of schematics for that car

• rferjo

rferjo New Member

Local Time:
      OK thanks I am downloading the service manual so I'll let you know what I find.
      Thanks for the info.

• rferjo

rferjo New Member

Local Time:
      67Dart273 gotta say THANK YOU! It was just as you said... the "ING2" the brown wire pin had pushed back in the bulkhead. I've always read allot of posts on this site and never thought to ask the professionals. Thought I could figure it out myself. "DUMB" could of saved so much time.

Pawned, Thank you also... now I can concentrate on the good stuff, like driving it.

• Like Like x 1
      • 67Dart273

67Dart273 Well-Known Member

View My Photos
        Local Time:
        You are very welcome