71 340 engine on ebay

-

johnstevens

Reaction score
There is this guy that is selling a 71 340 engine, but on the picture the block stamp looks like 77. He claims that it is a 71 since the 340 stopped being made on 73. What gives?
[ame="http://www.ebay.com/itm/MOPAR-FRESH-71-340-ENGINE-ASSY-READY-TO-RUN-DART-DEMON-DUSTER-CUDA-CHALLENGER-/141185349566?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item20df4d77be&vxp=mtr"]Mopar Fresh 71 340 Engine Assy Ready to Run Dart Demon Duster Cuda Challenger | eBay[/ame]

There is this guy that is selling a 71 340 engine, but on the picture the block stamp looks like 77. He claims that it is a 71 since the 340 stopped being made on 73. What gives?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/MOPAR-FRESH...Parts_Accessories&hash=item20df4d77be&vxp=mtr

With the pictures I see on the link, I can not read any block stampings. It would be that casting numbers on the left side that tell the date. I can see the castings, but no way can I read them. They did not make a 340 in 77.

...........Yes, they made 340s in 77,they were warranty blocks as Chrysler had the 5 year 50 thousand mile warranty then, they were also in industrial equipment and marine applications..........kim......

looks like he was Chincy on the cam lube and the engine looks dry , assembly lube is an extra un-needed expence I guess

...........Yes, they made 340s in 77,they were warranty blocks as Chrysler had the 5 year 50 thousand mile warranty then, they were also in industrial equipment and marine applications..........kim......

That was my thinking also.

Looks like a pretty nice engine John, for someone. I do agree that the casting #'s look a little funky. Maybe it's just the heavy paint? There also should be numbers either on the block just under the drivers side head, or just above the passenger side oil pan rail. Are you considering buying this engine?

My concern, other then not knowing the builder, would be the valve springs that are installed? If they are a stout double spring, I'd be a little concerned with using the cast rockers.....even if they are HD units.

My personal opinion is, you could put together a similar deal on your own for $4500+ shipping, as long as you're willing to do some work. If you just need a bolt in engine, I'd ask a lot of questions before buying from a unknown source.

looks like he was Chincy on the cam lube and the engine looks dry , assembly lube is an extra un-needed expence I guess

I guess masking tape is sparse in those parts too

With the pictures I see on the link, I can not read any block stampings. It would be that casting numbers on the left side that tell the date. I can see the castings, but no way can I read them. They did not make a 340 in 77.

Looks like a 77 in the picture to me

Thank you for all your feedback. I found it peculiar that the block said 77 and this guy claimed it was a 71. There is no serial number so it is probably a warranty block.

Thank you for all your feedback. I found it peculiar that the block said 77 and this guy claimed it was a 71. There is no serial number so it is probably a warranty block.

Evenif you give this guy the 'benifit of the doubt, the casting date is 6-16-71(?). It would be a 72 model year block by the time it was machined and assembled. I bet the VIN number on the pad above the oil pan starts with a "2"..

So it is a 72 block, not a 71. Lower compression, 1.88" intake valves instead of 2.02"...

I would be more worried about the painted rocker arms then the date stamped on the block.

He said the VIN is 2B483811

Evenif you give this guy the 'benifit of the doubt, the casting date is 6-16-71(?). It would be a 72 model year block by the time it was machined and assembled. I bet the VIN number on the pad above the oil pan starts with a "2"..

So it is a 72 block, not a 71. Lower compression, 1.88" intake valves instead of 2.02"...

You are correct, it is a "2".

The block has ribs cast into it at the center soft plug. That's gotta be a plus.

When reading this, i am just curious if any members on here ever had a 340 casting reading 74 or later.If so and engine is out any pictures.

It has "O" heads and if they are what came on that block then that was the giveaway that this is not a high compression pre 72 block. I agree that it has the small valves and is a 72 block. I think the casting got screwed a little where the date is and that's why it looks like a 7 instead of a 1.

I would be more worried about the painted rocker arms then the date stamped on the block.

Just what I want is flakes of paint flowing through the tight clearances in my block. Adds character! This guy must be on the dope!

Hi. A very good friend of mine swears his 340 has a cast date of 77 also. He had his Dart at a shop well known for mopars and the mechanic there also said the same. I would have no reason to doubt them. Bobby

The reason i was asking Bobby , was if Chrysler had this warranty back in the day in Eastern Canada especially , and everybody that bought them used them as daily drivers all 12 months , with snow, salt , sand ect on the road here .It is hard to believe that any Duster ever got a warranty engine as far as 1977 .You could almost here them rusting away , the bodies just did not last long enough, by 77 they were done . But if he has one it has got to be legit .

The reason i was asking Bobby , was if Chrysler had this warranty back in the day in Eastern Canada especially , and everybody that bought them used them as daily drivers all 12 months , with snow, salt , sand ect on the road here .It is hard to believe that any Duster ever got a warranty engine as far as 1977 .You could almost here them rusting away , the bodies just did not last long enough, by 77 they were done . But if he has one it has got to be legit .

Back then cars only carried a 36K or 3 year warranty too.

The reason I originally asked about the engine is because my 73 Duster has a 77 stamped on the engine. I will be starting a thread about my restoration adventure.

Attachments

• duster.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 191
-
Back