71 dart 4 door suspension question from a noob..

-

cricket73

Reaction score
ok folks, i'm a complete newbie regarding auto resto, and need some help- the front end needs new suspension work, and i have very little idea of what i need to start with.. i've done searches here, and it looks like upper and lower control arms, all bushings, but what else? i've done motorcycles, but no cars..so sorry if this is a silly question!
i'm seeing good words for rock auto, and moog parts. also, should i get her to a shop for alignment first? i think i read that here too.. :toothy9:

thanks, jen

It really depends on what you want to do with the car. I tend to see steering/suspension upgrades in stages. A basic upgrade would be to replace the rubber components with new rubber or poly. That alone should give you improvement in handling. Certainly make sure that your steering components are in good shape - no excessive play. This step is for the original suspension components.

The next step, in my opinion, would be to switch to big ball joint control arms.

Another upgrade would be to install beefier components, such as Pitman and idler arms, C-body tie rod ends, tie rods, etc.

Don't forget that a disc brake upgrade might be warranted because you will soon find your old Mopar handling like some new cars. Being able to stop when you need to is important.

You can also get larger diameter torsion bars. This will also help with cornering. Don't go too large, however, because the spring rate is not linear with diameter.

Don't forget the tires. Some tires are excellent for sticking to the ground, but they wear out faster than others.

-
Back