71 Dart Fender extension bolt holes stripped

-

Cal_gecko

Citron Yella!!
Reaction score
In the process of putting my 71 Dart back together after paint.. got the rear quarter extensions and bumper on .. went to put the front fender extensions on .. and the holes (I think there are 4 of them per side) are stripped out.. the holes look like they're some kind of plastic/resin/fiberglass or something.. and the bolts that are there to attach them won't 'bite' because the holes are stripped out. Any suggestions?

I really dont know the name but
3M make panel glue instead of welding
new panel on your car they glue them
I install few stud in about avery thing
with it and it sure hold them

Good lord... removing the old studs from the fender is a PITA. I had to clamp some Vise-Grips on the part of the stud sticking out the front of the fender, and use a 1/2" deep socket on the inside of the fender to try to loosen the stud from the inside... I managed to put a chip in my brand new paint with the Vise-Grips in the process of removing these stupid things.. One of them, I had to cut off with a die-grinder from the outside... I only got one fender done tonight... I'll do the other one tomorrow, and try not to damage my brand new paint this time :( Are there any tips for removing those studs from the fenders?

ON my 71 the Fender extension had the studs cast in to them I thought. Did the studs break off of the extensions ?

No, they didn't break... when I unscrewed them from inside the fender, instead of the nut coming off from the inside of the fender, it unscrewed the stud from the extension.. the nuts have some kind of sealant/goop inside them that makes them VERY difficult to unscrew

gotcha. thought mine were cast in but its been awhile. Theres also 2 version of the extensions pot metal or fiberglass.

I sprayed some PB Blaster on them this morning to let them soak all day... hopefully by this afternoon, I'll be able to unscrew them a little easier than the ones I dealt with last night. I'm still pissed about chipping the paint on my brand new paint job trying to get those things off

First thing I did on my Dart when it was just repainted was open the door and chip the paint, Gap was too close. Best to get the first chip over with quickly, LOL

-
Back