71 Dart - Fitting the floor shifter

-

tamanko

Reaction score
In the process of fitting the 4-speed and shifter hump and am concerned how close the shifter mount looks to be to the torsion bar cross member. In review of many FABO posts it looks like others have had a similar problem and have trim the spot weld flange of the cross member to accommodate. Can anyone confirm this to be the case?

Regards,

Frank

I converted my 68 valiant a few years back, same floor as the 71 darts, and no trimming of the crossmember was needed.

Antoon

I am running into that putting my automatic floor shifter in my Dart. I am moving it back an inch or two. I want to be able to catch the edge of the crossmember. With a manual you probably won't get away with that, but can probably modify the crossmember if you need to cut it.

Spent some time in the garage last evening. Actually the cross member has a notch in it from the factory. I am planning on pulling some dimensions between the engine mounts and cross member centerline to verify all will bolt up.

Frank

Hello, I just did that a few months ago with a 72. Converted from auto to 4 speed. I had to do no work at all to the torsion bar cross member. Keep in mind the shifter mount angles forward. Yes, you must peel the sheet metal off ( the floor to install 4 speed hump), but no mods should be necessary if you are using the correct parts. Be careful though, there are more than one A body shifter adapters ( the aluminum block that bolts to the trans tail) . You want the late one. If you need, I can find the number you need. The number you do not want is 2298 as that is early A body.

Good luck

"Keep in mind the shifter mount angles forward."

Thanks. My current reference is just the three mounting hole on the tail shaft of the transmission as we do not have a shifter yet. What would be your guess on how far forward the shifter center line is from the center of these mounting holes?

Regards,

Frank

This pix should give you a good idea as to what fits where. The shifter is a hurst comp plus

Attachments

• 4 sp conversion 011.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 301
Yes, my Hurst shifter mechanism ended up very close to the crossmember too.

P5180218.jpg

-Charles
ps Anyone know where I can get the right twisted-up A-body shift lever? I think this one's for a B-body and rapping my knuckles on the dash on every shift into 1st or 3rd gets old...

You have the shift lever backwards. Other than cutting it/ welding back together "in position" you want.................

You can remove the shift handle from the box. Use some feeler gauges to get it out. Youtube may have a tutorial on how to remove it, then turn it 180* cause it's in backwards now as mentioned.

Hey! I resemble that remark... Actually I already have Andy's book. So there :finga:

This same shifter and lever was in the last big-block A-body I built, but that was over 25 years ago!

I'll see how it works once I get the steering column installed, and maybe a driver's seat too :D Could always get a piece of 5/16" steel stock and heat/bend an adapter, I suppose. A "real" A-body lever is $$$...

-
Back