71 Dart Rear Tire (Yes Again)

-

65Vart

Reaction score
anybody already running a 15 x 7 with a 255/60/15 on a 70/71 dart with NO mods?. Its time to by new wheels and tires . Need to see proof they will fit. There is mixed messages out there.

anybody already running a 15 x 7 with a 255/60/15 on a 70/71 dart with NO mods?. Its time to by new wheels and tires . Need to see proof they will fit. There is mixed messages out there.

Running those on my 73 dart, very tight though, rub a little bit sometimes though. I have 15x8 rims though.

DartVader, what's your back spacing and do you have pics.

DartVader, what's your back spacing and do you have pics.

I dont have any pics on me right now, I will take some and post them tomorrow though. My rims are 15x8 with 4.5 backspacing. They would fit perfectly if my rear end was centered better, only one side rubs. But I never touched the lip or anything, so with a bit of trimming/rolling they would fit without any problems at all.

thanks for the reply, hopefully helps 65vart as well.

No problem. This is what those tires look like on my 73 dart. The right side does rub sometimes, but the other side has loads of room, the rear is biased towards the right side so thats why it rubs, otherwise it would fit perfectly. With a bit of fender rolling it would fit just fine as well but I never got around to doing that. There is also about a half inch of clearance from the tire to the lead spring, I put about 4000 miles on these tires and only rubbed a few times on the outside of the right tire (only with a full car, never with just me). My rear sits a bit higher for whatever reason too. But every car is different, the best thing you can do is test fit a set because what fits on my car may not fit on yours. If you were closer Id let you test fit mine.

I am changing out my rear end to a shortened 8 3/4 pretty soon, so I will be able to fit a bit wider tires as well.

Attachments

• IMG_3385.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 239
  • IMG_3386.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 241
  • IMG_3389.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 257
  • IMG_3390.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 235
  • IMG_3387.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 238
  • IMG_3388.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 242
I ran 275 60s on the back of my 71 on 8" wheels. I don't remember the offset. That was around 20 years ago. They never scrubbed.

If that's not proof enough, oh well.

My rear sits a bit higher for whatever reason too. But every car is different, the best thing you can do is test fit a set because what fits on my car may not fit on yours. If you were closer Id let you test fit mine.

I am changing out my rear end to a shortened 8 3/4 pretty soon, so I will be able to fit a bit wider tires as well.

That's even higher than with S/S springs. No where near stock height, which is what the OP is asking about. I have S/S springs & stock shackles on my '69 and it sits lower than your car. I can't get a 235/60-15 tire on mine no matter what wheel or offset I try. They either rub on the inner or outer fender upon cornering. I think this proves that every car is different, and what may work on one won't always work on another.

I ran 275 60s on the back of my 71 on 8" wheels. I don't remember the offset. That was around 20 years ago. They never scrubbed.

If that's not proof enough, oh well.

I could see it, would have to get the offset just right though.

By the way a 7" wheel is really too narrow for a 255 tire. Even though BFG says 7"-9" for that tire, they won't look right on a 7".

That's even higher than with S/S springs. No where near stock height, which is what the OP is asking about. I have S/S springs & stock shackles on my '69 and it sits lower than your car. I can't get a 235/60-15 tire on mine no matter what wheel or offset I try. They either rub on the inner or outer fender upon cornering. I think this proves that every car is different, and what may work on one won't always work on another.

You can't compare a 69 to a 70. The wheelhouses are different.

-
Back