'71 Demon Pro Street/Touring

-
Man that Demon looks awesome looks like the paint and bodywork turned out great...mine goes to the shop in a couple weeks I hope it turns out as straight.....and shiny. Also Like the fuel cell idea, look forward watching the assembly process. :thumbup:

Thanks Ross, I've been following your build the whole way and enjoying watching your talent at work. Wish I had those skills so I could have done my entire build as apposed to paying for body/paint. Minus the machine work on the block the rest of the work will be all me, so I guess thats ok too. I did buy a welder and plan too hone my skills with it so someday I can do a resto from start to finish. Although I think paint would still be left in the hands of others.

just looked at your thead today...your car is crazy....love it....keep us posted....that ride gives ya wood...lol

Who is doing the engine???

Trevor

I'm currently doing some oiling mods to my 340 that you can find in the small block forum, sticky'd at the top by Guitar Jones. Then my block will head off to a machine shop in Edmonton for .030" over boring and line honing, balancing etc. After machine work is done then assembly will be done be me.

Parts so far consist of:

4" Stroke Forged Eagle crank (416c.i.d.)
H-Beam Forged Rods
Mahle -5cc Forged pistons
Hughes 1.6 Roller Rockers
Hughes Solid Roller lifters
Lunati Solid Roller Cam #60434
Billit Main Caps from MRL Performance
Hughes Stud Girdle
ARP fasteners for everything
Canton Rear sump road racing pan & pickup
Running all MSD gear for ignition.

Still need to purchase Eddie CNC prepped heads w/2.08 Intake
Ported Super Victor Intake
TTI 1 7/8" Headers
March Performance Accesories, pulleys & belts.

Thanks Ross, I've been following your build the whole way and enjoying watching your talent at work. Wish I had those skills so I could have done my entire build as apposed to paying for body/paint. Minus the machine work on the block the rest of the work will be all me, so I guess thats ok too. I did buy a welder and plan too hone my skills with it so someday I can do a resto from start to finish. Although I think paint would still be left in the hands of others.

I will be farming out my body/paint work also, but will be helping the "professional" body guy to try and learn something new.

What machine shop?? If may suggest ams, not cause I worked there but because they are probably one of the best, Louis the owner knows his stuff and the main guy in the shop Brian is a mopar nut.

I am actually still on the fence on who to use. AMS was recommended to me and is on my little list. Sounds like maybe a good choice for me then. I will give them a shout when its time.

Just checked out the thread....nice!
I see you had mentioned my car early on about water based paint.
My Demon was painted using the good stuff. There is still some
suppliers selling non water base.
My painter is very skilled and he refused to use the new paint.
He said it is crap........
He was the same guy who painted my 70 Challenger.

Wilson

Attachments

• 004.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 1,350
  • 007.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 1,363
  • 002.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 1,352
  • img109.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 1,286
Looks great Muslca!! The owner of the shop I used says its a $50000 fine if caught using oilbased (ouch) and said there was no sense fighting the law but rather learning to use it, and to be honest I couldn't tell the difference if oil based or not. I love my paint job so they must know what they are doing with it.
That Challenger must have been hard to let go?!

The Challenger was beautiful, photographed by Mopar Collectors
Guide back in 2001. But really I'm just a A-body type of guy.
E-bodies are too rich for my blood.Everything cost for those cars.

Regards
Wilson
Ontario Canada

Attachments

• img118.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 1,307
you guys know that he water base paint thing never passed any law here in the states......

you guys know that he water base paint thing never passed any law here in the states......

I guess all the environmentalists and tree huggers make all the laws up here :banghead: Probably only ten years away from a law stating everyone must drive a Prius.

Maybe it has to do with meetin Kyoto requirements. Canada signed up but not the states. If this is true I hate the Kyoto accord for taking the painting of my car out of my hands and doubling the cost of a shops paint job all in the same breath.

I doubt we can even bring the solvent based stuff into the country.

Maybe it has to do with meetin Kyoto requirements. Canada signed up but not the states. If this is true I hate the Kyoto accord for taking the painting of my car out of my hands and doubling the cost of a shops paint job all in the same breath.

I doubt we can even bring the solvent based stuff into the country.

Yes, Kyoto was exactly what I was thinking when I wrote my last statement, wasn't sure if our southern neighbors knew about it since its royal BS doesn't affect them. Not sure if Kyoto is a direct result but its a bummer the good paints are illegal now.

And thanks Brad!

At least Im close to the border,and maybe I can take advantage of it to get my car painted in WA. Im sure there will be mass rapage at the border when I bring it back though. Those guys love taking my money.I think the only thing thats water based is the base itself. So if I go single stage urethane or acrylic laquer I should still get solvent base paint up here.

I wont be buying it at Lordco,thats for sure. I think there is a websight based supplier that sells the color I need in enamel. At least it looked close to my color choice anyways. Cant remember the name of the websight of course. It was posted up here a little while back.

There are a number of shops in my area that have switched to waterborn base, and I have heard nothing but great reviews. It's like anything else new, it takes a little getting used to.....

I live 1 1/2 hours away from NY state. We thought about going over
to get some paint but found a supplier here in Ontario.
Getting tough though, just got to have some connections..

Attachments

• 012.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 1,266
There are a number of shops in my area that have switched to waterborn base, and I have heard nothing but great reviews. It's like anything else new, it takes a little getting used to.....

True enough. It's actually the cost thats kiiling me.I can paint it myself no problem,but my god that shite is EXPENSIVE!

Thats why Im wondering about the legalities of bringing non water base across the border. If we are still selling acrylic enamel up here,and it's the base of the base/clear systems that is water born,there should be no problems as of yet.I think it's probably fine as you can buy duplicolor acrylic laquer at cambobian tire.

Now my challenge is to get the car in paint before they outlaw acrylics as well.

True enough. It's actually the cost thats kiiling me.I can paint it myself no problem,but my god that shite is EXPENSIVE!

Thats why Im wondering about the legalities of bringing non water base across the border. If we are still selling acrylic enamel up here,and it's the base of the base/clear systems that is water born,there should be no problems as of yet.I think it's probably fine as you can buy duplicolor acrylic laquer at cambobian tire.

Now my challenge is to get the car in paint before they outlaw acrylics as well.

$5500 in paint and supplies on my car?!? That sound right? 3 Coats of color and 3 of clear. I didn't pay that much in the end but thats what he originally priced it at.

Sounds pretty high,but I've been out of bodyshops for years. That wasnt including labour?

I've been costing materials from tcp global in the states. I think I can probably get everything I need from them for a LOT less than $5500.Probably will be able to paint and prime for less that $1500.

The bodyshops recieve all thier material at a discounted rate,much like a mechanic would. But they dont pass on this savings to you. It's likely they get better than 40% discounted. This 40% goes straight in the shop owners pocket,in addition to anything left over after he pays his wages etc.Btw 40% is just a number. It is however,the discount most Lordco stores hand over to thier shop customers if not even better than that.

Places like tcp sell to the public at a greatly discounted rate,and make thier money by selling volume.

Agreed on TCP! That place has treated me well so far and the prices are well within anyones budget. I ordered my 2K urethane primer, B5 Blue and all the required wax/grease cleaner, hardner and reducers for right around $600. To me that is a smoking deal! That Demon looks great BTW!

Agreed on TCP! That place has treated me well so far and the prices are well within anyones budget. I ordered my 2K urethane primer, B5 Blue and all the required wax/grease cleaner, hardner and reducers for right around $600. To me that is a smoking deal! That Demon looks great BTW!

This is really good to know!

Im working on buying from lordco through someone with a great discount,but if it's still too much at least I can reference tcp

-
Back