'71 Scamp in da house!

-

octanejunkie

Mopar Padawan
Reaction score
So I got my new project yesterday, a true 1971 Plymouth Scamp. Ran the VIN here and got the following info:
Vehicle Model: Valiant/Duster/Scamp
Vehicle Class: High Price Class (Scamp, Satellite Sebring, Satellite Custom, Barracuda)
Vehicle Body Style: 2 Door Hardtop
Vehicle Engine: 318 CID/230 HP 2 BBL V8
Vehicle Year: 1971
Vehicle Assembly Plant: Los Angeles, CA, USA
Certainly happy about all that! Wish that VIN told me more though...

Here it is being delivered. The seller drove it out from Vegas yesterday, guess there are a few good folks on eBay after all; but we are car-guys, we have to take care of each other!

So we inspected the car together, found a few more body spots (dents,rust) than were apparent in the auction pics and a few rust spots that were worse than represented in our dialogs; so he adjusted the price accordingly - stand up guy.

In the deal I also got the following:
-a sheet load of parts for the scamp, just about everything that came off the car, interior and exterior, plus everything he bought for it
-a few body panels to replace the "known" rust spots
-a '99 360 magnum roller block, hot tanked and line bored .030 over
-SP Hyper .030 over pistons mounted to rods and balanced
-standard magnum crank, journals polished and balanced
-all new clevite bearings
-a set of magnum 360 heads, state undetermined
-new in box Edelbrock Performer RPM Air-Gap manifold
-new in box Mopar purple cam 280/280, .484/.484 kit w/lifters
-mid-sump oil pan to clean the Scamp K member
-an A body Dana 60 rear end with posi 3rd member, axles, etc - needs gears and bearings I'm sure
-old water pumps, distributors, timing cover, etc
-an MSD box, model yet unknown, uninstalled in the back seat
All in all, a huge lot of stuff I have yet to review and catalog - today and tomorrow will be fun - Merry Christmas to me!

Back to the Scamp. The car has a few nice parts on it already too:
-running 318 in it, probably the original one, but leaking oil and who knows what else...
-new Optima battery
-an older Edelbrock Performer intake
-Carter 4-bbl
-electric fuel pump seller installed himself (super quiet actually)
-340 exhaust manifolds
-new 2.5" x-pipe exhaust to walker turbos and dual rear layton SS tips, it sounds good too
-cam unknown, suspected Erson by the seller but who knows...
-904 trans, supposedly "built" to take some abuse by the seller's dad (old mopar trans guy)
-magneto distributor of unknown origin, but at least no points
-power steering which feels great!
-Police disc brakes swap up front on 4-1/2 bolt pattern rotors
-14 x 7 rally rims and caps with 4-1/2 bolt pattern and caps
-new Kumho tires all around
-8.25" (suspected) rear end with unknown gears, seller things they are 355s, will find out today!
That is the short list on the mechanical, I'm sure I forgot a few things but I also just got the car so I'll figure it all out soon enough.

The interior and body need a lot of work, which I expected honestly. All in all it should be a fun project car and I have yet to decide what I want to do with it. I would really like to tackle the oil leak first, looks like the rear main seal, but I will need to get it registered first, I will try to do that today so I can park it on the street.

I will be asking MANY questions specific to this model and mopar in general as I am a chevy guy through and through, but I fell in love the Scamp body style and just had to have one in time for Christmas - now my mopar hat is on. Here are a few pics for those that like pics
newfolder030.jpg

P1010091.jpg

newfolder028.jpg

newfolder009.jpg

newfolder2146.jpg

P1010103.jpg

P1010101.jpg

I'll post more updates later and publish an album link to track the inventory and progress

Merry Christmas everybody! :cheers:
-mike

Congrats on the new purchase.

I would be interested in pictures of the "Dana 60 A body" axle you speak of.
The most prevalent differential for desireability and HP use is the 8 3/4 housing. Dana 60 is not standard fare for A bodies, unless it is an aftermarket housing or a cut down housing from a larger application (truck, etc) We might be able to give you some direction on the rear end, and its feasibility for your project.

I would be interested in pictures of the "Dana 60 A body" axle you speak of.

There are plenty of custom Dana 60-based rear ends out there for $$$, here is a magnumforce example, obviously shortened to fit various applications. Turns out the extra one I got is not a Dana, it actually looks like a Ford 9", will post pics and dimensions tomorrow. Along with it I got 3 sets of 3rd members, one is a posi, all need rebuilding

Congratulations on your cool new Scamp!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Move
Over
Plymouth
Approaching
Rapidly

Oh, you are going to have a lot of fun with that! Of course, Mopar will ruin you forever as a Chevy guy. You are going to be a former Chevy guy.

Oh, you are going to have a lot of fun with that! Of course, Mopar will ruin you forever as a Chevy guy. You are going to be a former Chevy guy.

If anything, I'll add mopar to my repertoire, but I'll never loose my love of Chevy or the ubiquity of the aftermarket and over-abundant inexpensive used parts - mopar is pretty darn expensive stuff, as is ford

What year front end is that? I like scamps too. Good luck.

-
Back