72 340 Duster electrical help

-

gtgto

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Bought a matching number 340 4 speed Duster in need of alot of work to make her road worthy. Right now the car will not start by turning the key. I can start it with a screw driver if I run a wire from the positive side of battery to the coil. Battery is good and the starter. What do I check next? Electrical is not something I excel at to say the least. Any help wpuld be greatly appreciated. I have one wire connected to each side of the coil. Should there be more than that? I do see a wire that isn't connected to anything that looks to be tanish in color. Help!!!

try stepping on the clutch pedal...safety switch on it...

you didn't say if is auto or stick ....could be neutral safety switch or starter relay

Its a 4 Speed car...Would the switch be bypassed by using the screw driver and hot wire to the coil. I went to start the car earlier and it was in gear and it jumped forward.

if you are jumping it at the starter relay switch then you are bypassing safety switch...

look on the starter relay switch ...terminal with a G...that is the G wire that goes to either the neutral safety switch on auto trans or safety switch on the manual....

you can bypass the switches by running a ground wire to the terminal G....the car will start in gear.

Still nothing. When I turn the headlights on the reverse light in the car goes on which doesn't seem right either. What next?

Still nothing. When I turn the headlights on the reverse light in the car goes on which doesn't seem right either. What next?

When you turn on the headlights do the taillights come on too? Or just the reverse lights? That you could sort out by checking out the wiring in the trunk. Do the wiring harnesses look factory or tampered with?

The brake and parking lamps work properly. I have temporarily disconnected the trunk harness to eliminate any problems at the back of the car. I know whatever my problems are the trunk harness is not it. What are the wire colors going to the coil + and -?

The positive side comes from the ballast from ignition switch - neg side goes to distributor. If we're talking a points distributor.

I went to office Depot, had the young woman look up "1973 duster color coded wiring diagram" on the internet and print me out a very enlarged copy. This won't solve the problem, but I found it very helpful. Cost under $3

Couple of thoughts: Right now, I am doing a 70 4 speed Duster with a manual steering column, here is what I did, not sure if this will help you.

I bypassed my safety switch by buying a 69/69 4 speed starter relay ($12).

Also, I changed from the 70 harness to a 73, has all the electronic ignition wires and no hacks. Plugged right in, no issues and was very clean and very easy.

If you need wiring harness please let me know, seems I needed one (1), found three (3). I am no electrical guru at all (by far)

The car has Electronic ignition. I will be replacing the harness in the rear at a later date. I have quite a to do list going. I really would like to get it running conventionally with a key and no jumper wires instead of a screw driver. I do have an extra ignition switch, I might give that a try.

Where did all my help go?

Am I looking at the ignition balast or ignition switch...Not getting voltage to coil

Did you try replacing the ballast resistor? It could be the ignition switch but they are a pain to replace without proper tools. The light issue might be a broken wire under the steering wheel in the column. The plastic turn signal cancel tabs tend to break off and get caught as the wheel spins and breaks wires.

Well I have to take the column apart at some point to replace the turn signal switch and the lever which is not even there. I am going to order the balast resistor first though.

mopar_4pin_ign.jpg

you could easily bypass the ignition switch....just run 12 V to the ballast with a toggle or something.

I'm not really interested in bypassing the ignition switch... I went through alot of trouble finding a matching number car, I don't want to be starting the car with a toggle switch. Do you know what colors the wires are coming from the ignition?

for your app the wiring diagrams at www.mymopar.com I need wiring diagrams for a 93 dakota a 85 ramcharger and a 82 dodge dynasty. If I can get em at home depot! I will:cheers:, let me know. EDIT meant to type 92 dynasty

-
Back