'72 Dart/Demon front clip on '73 Dart Sport

-

ramcharger

Dismember
Reaction score
I'm going to check out a '73 Dart Sport tonight and was wondering if it's possible to change the front clip on a '73 Dart Sport to the earlier style Dart/Demon front end. I really do prefer the looks of the '71/'72 Demon front end over the later Dart style. Is this a bolt on swap? Would this swap require the same year fenders? Did the '73 Dart Sport come from the factory with a 340 and the twin snorkel scoops? Would this have a 727 or 904 auto?

Thanks in Advance!

73 dart sports did come with 340's. it was the last year for the 340. should have a 727 transmission. front clip change would require the fenders and extensions, hood, grille, and bumper from a 72 to change it over. it is alot to think about. i personally like the 73 front end myself. i have seen alot of really nice 73 dart sports. here is a pic of beastiedoggies 73 340....what do you think?

73 sport.jpg

As far as I know, 67-76 interchange,
you will need the correct grille/bumpers, fenders, And hood for the year nose
you want the front to look like.

A parts car would be the best way. ;)

I saw a 74 Dart sport, with a 71 Demon nose, for sale near me 2 years ago.

Yep, looks much better in blue with the factory stripes:notworth: Here's some pictures of the car. You all think it's worth $7995? Seems about 3 grand too high to me. No rust underneath or in trunk. Rear drivers side quarter about half bondo but I wouldn't have caught it without a magnet. Interior is about 75%, needs headliner and console resto. Has factory moonroof. No smoke or leaks from the 340, sounds super healthy, no weird ticking, knocks or other danger noise. no tranny leaks. Appears to have a 8 1/4 with 3.21 gears. Factory exhaust manifolds with muffler shop duals. Front disc brakes. Front grille mount points broken. Hack job on the alternator mount (stacks 'o' washers!). Here's some pics:

73 Front.JPG

73 Interior.JPG

73 rear end.JPG

73 Side View.JPG

73 VIN.JPG

73 Moonroof.JPG

73 rear end.JPG

well according to the door it is not an original 340 car. looks like the vin is vl29c or vl29g . the c means it was a /6. the g means it was or is a 318! better look at again!

did you get a shot of the vin in the front window on dash? also did you get a pic of the underside of the hood. if it came with the snorkel scoops originally then the hood will have 2 round holes together in the center. if not it may have been added and not original. this would lead me to belive it is a 318 car or was a /6. cant make the c or g thing in the door vin.

here is a pic of what the hood should look like if it had the snorkel hood to begin with....

Snap3.jpg

Excellent catch 7demon2!!! :notworth: I have the full size, high def pic and blew it up. Yep, It's a c! I'll get another picture tommorow of the VIN on the dash and check for the round holes under the hood. If this car has been misrepresented, it should give me some serious bargining power, as this is supposed to be a "reputable" dealer and has been around for 25 years :cwm10: . I got a pic of the fender tag, but it is very difficult to read due to the white paint over it. I'll try to get a better pic.

i took the picture and enhanced it. it looks like a c to me. 7995.00 i think not!

what about the duster or the scamp in the back ground? how do they look? maybe you should check them out as well....just my 2 cents

7demon2, if you are ever in the Denver area, let me know 'cause the beers are on me! :drinkers: I owe you for this one! The Duster is a bench seat, steering column auto, 318, gold exterior and gold interior (Yikes!). He wants $5995 for the Duster. He ain't gonna get it from me. Haven't checked out the Scamp yet. Must be new as I didn't notice it until you mentioned it. There's also a '70 Swinger there with the twin scoop hood and a 360. Same price as the '73 Dart Sport.

I'm doing this very thing to my '73 Duster. Nothing against the pointed nose A-bodies. I was search on CarDomain one day and a Demon came up and I said "That's It" and decided I have to have it.

The parts I've found to be needed are;
Hood
Fenders
Fender extensions, if not bought with the fenders. Keep in mind there are plastic resin extensions and pot metal ones.
Since you have a Dart Sport you may or may not need the "latch support" I had to get one for my car.
Obviously a Grill (I reccomend trying to get one at a swap meet so you can see before you buy)
Bumper
Lower Valance

J

Drivers door had been replaced, VIN on dash is LM29H3B244897. My bad, should have checked if VIN on door matched VIN on dash. That's what I get for being in a hurry. Two round cutouts are in underside of hood in factory location and appear to be factory. Thanks again for all your help.

well that is a plus. now if it is as said to be 340 matching and all, it is worth a little more. 7995.00 huumm?? not bad, but 6995.00 sounds better! offer it and see if he bites...

forgot the 70 dart and scamp. they need to be checked out as well. gotta say though the long haul the numbers matching dart w/ sunroof is gonna be worth more...

man to tell you the truth none of the 3 look to bad. the dart sport is still gonna be the best for value though.

Yep, I agree regarding the resale value. I really like the black interior with the console and bucket seats. Cool looking shifter too. It would be a lot of work to knock off all that bondo on the driver's rear quarter and mig in a new quarter in, though. Drivers side rocker panel would have to be replaced too. Once that was completed, it would be a 100% solid steel car. Sunroof headliner replacement, console resto (the woodgrain stickers are peeling), install the correct alternator brackets and maybe a new carpet and it would be mint. Hmmmm, hope it doesn't take too long to get this credit crap resolved.

These are the pics of the car that came home with me from a seller in Jersey a month ago. Check out my new 76 with 72 & 71 front components.

Dart 1 Driver Side.jpg

Dart 3 Rear.jpg

Dart 4.jpg

Dart 5 Front.jpg

not bad, the 71 front end looks right at home on it. nice car, like the black.

I am now in the same boat as RamCharger.

I have opprotunity to also purchase a 73 Dart Sport, with the same hood and hood scoop.

The car is solid and rust free, just quick buff of the paint it'll shine, but no motor or trans, but a 8 3/4 and front disc brakes on 5 X 4 1/2" bolt pattern.

But dont like the front end.....

Can I reuse the the current fenders, but ditch the hood and the header panel and front grille and bumper, and replace those with anything from a 70-72"A" body to get that appearance?

will any of those older style hoods work and still keep the current fenders?

Just trying to keep cost down, and retain those fenders if possible.

I do know the front latch mount brackety has to be changed, and the bumper brackets .

thanks ahead of time.

Chris Reed

You have to have the fenders from a same year car as the bummpers,hood, and grill come from. The fenders on 72 and older have little "nose" extensions that are bolted on to the fenders and the body lines are slightly different because of that. You will not be able to retain 73 fenders if you are going to a 72 or older front clip.

RedlineDuster said:
I'm doing this very thing to my '73 Duster. Nothing against the pointed nose A-bodies. I was search on CarDomain one day and a Demon came up and I said "That's It" and decided I have to have it.

The parts I've found to be needed are;
Hood
Fenders
Fender extensions, if not bought with the fenders. Keep in mind there are plastic resin extensions and pot metal ones.
Since you have a Dart Sport you may or may not need the "latch support" I had to get one for my car.
Obviously a Grill (I reccomend trying to get one at a swap meet so you can see before you buy)
Bumper
Lower Valance

J
Looks like RedlineDuster has your answer! :thumblef:

krabysniper & RamCharger

Hey Guys thanks to both of you for quick responses!

krabysniper** Will doing a 73 Duster front end work? and stil keep the fenders?

Ramcharger** I starting to feel the squeeze too, looks like I might havta go that way too, just trying to save some pennies.

I used to have a 73 Duster with a 400 stroked to 471 , it was awesome! unfortunately found out the weak points in the body, the front leaf perches, were bad blew the leaf springs thru the floor, tore up or busted everything from the crank back. :sad2: .

Just want to get into a another a-body.

again thanks guys

-
Back