72 duster Build progress

-
I know this has nothing to do with your thread, but does anyone know what type of paint I would use to paint a grill with?
I use light argent metallic paint from east wood, but I am not sure what black to use, also do I apply a clear coat afterwards?

I think that your question would be answered best in a thread search.

I know how to do it.....my grille is still mint so I wont be doing anything to it.

I just think that you could get the best info by searching through the search option on the forum. I have personally seen a few guys on here do grille restoration threads and you will get more of a step by step break down of the process if you can find one of those threads!

If you cant find one...let me know and I will see if I can do some digging through some threads and help you out...a couple of guys had some really good info on what products they used and in what order they did everything and there grilles came out like new

UPDATE:
Engine bay is ALL in primer.....I am going to sand it out in the morning real quick and squirt primer one more time and then I am laying base clear!

I will get pictures up for everyone tomorrow so you can see the progress.

Thanks

mine is dupont centauri. with half the flattening agent. which makes it a satin finish.

DusterDude72, that looks awesome! I can't wait to see it in paint. From what I've been told, it's all in the prep and bro, you got that covered.

I just have one little question for ya. I hope you don't mind. I was wondering if you are going to remove the fenders so that you can get at the top lip of the inner fender that the fender bolts to? Just to make sure there's no rust or crap hiding there.

DSCI0823.jpg

Keep up the great work.

Wylde1.

wylde....if you check back in the thread I had already pulled the fenders off last summer and sanded all the metal down and undercoated everything to prevent any rust from ever showing up and I then bolted them down with sealer in between the mating surfaces.

so i won't be popping the fenders off for paint.

It would make for a more thorough paint job ......but i dont plan on popping my fenders off at car shows to show everyone that i painted the rails my fenders mount to HAHA.

but good point!

and thanks for the comment!.

looks like I wont be spraying today because good old weather man was full of it again today...i guess we will see what the weather is like tomorrow.

I am not in a controlled booth so i would really like the temperature/humidity to be ideal so I dont have any unexpected problems with my paint.

BIG UPDATE!!!!

Well.....I went to town on the priming and sanding today....TECHNICALLY my dad and my son helped LOL. (pictures below)

It ended up going like this......used aircraft remover and stripped the hole engine bay,sanded the hole engine bay,hammered out factory bows in the metal and smoothed off factory welds,welded a patch over the batter tray mounting hole,used some body filler in any minor imperfections,primed,sanded,primed,sanded,spot puttied any minor imperfections,sanded,primed,sanded,little more spot putty lol,sanded,primed,prepped the bay,layed 5 coats of color,then 3 coats of clear.......came out like glass with a nice smooth thick looking finish!.

the picture below REALLY do it NO justice just so you know....in person the color is WAY different......my camera made the purple look like a duller purple/blue/gray ....when in person it is a VIBRANT plum crazy PURPLE!.

I will try to get some pictures in the sunlight tomorrow and see if that helps show the true color any better!.

let me know what you guys think of the progress and of the sweet new paint job I pulled off!

3 generations working on the duster! (dad) in the engine bay...(me)working on the inner fender and (Junior) sanding the core support...also has a sticker that says MOPAR on his face cause he was goofing around lol.
DSCI0917.jpg

Primed
DSCI0921.jpg

Again
DSCI0922.jpg

during paint
DSCI0923.jpg

Just after paint
DSCI0929.jpg

DSCI0930.jpg

DSCI0937.jpg

DSCI0938.jpg

DSCI0941.jpg

Its hard to tell how shiny it is by the pictures....but its shiny alright lol.....I layed some good thick coats of clear to give it plenty of depth ......if you cant tell by all the reflections in the paint lol.

Next on the list ....which I may do tomorrow or the next day is mask off the engine bay.....and paint black ....the K-member,torsion bars,all steering components(steering shaft is already done),all brake and shift linkages and bracketry,wiper motor,(blower motor is nice new black already......

new brake booster and master cylinder on the way,going through the entire wire harness and putting new black loom on it.....Just bought all new loom clips that are nice shiny silver to mount up to the firewall.....bunch of MISC. stuff to do under the hood...

and THEN plop that nice new hemi orange engine in there to set it off!!!.....should look good all done I am thinking !

Oh and once the engine is in and everything is hooked up....I can finish my interior, which is almost all done except I need to paint the dash and the rest of the metal interior parts real quick.....after thats done,it on to finishing the body!.....with each step I feel its that much closer to done....gotta love progress!

Dude you are tearing it up! Looks great, and I can't wait to see the engine bay all done up! Those colors are going to scream notice me when done.

Keep up the great work!

dude, man, dude man, man dude, nice, your son will never forget this stuff. not ever. and the car is looking good too!!!!!!!!!!!

dude, man, dude man, man dude, nice, your son will never forget this stuff. not ever. and the car is looking good too!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks .... I try to get him involved in some of it right now.....but at his age he would rather go play with his toys lol.

He seen My dad and myself sanding away and thought it looked like fun and said " can I clean too?"....I said sure thing buddy here is some sand paper....have at it.

He actually didn't do to bad HAHA

Lookin Good, Keep at it :cheers:

Thanks Curtis.....Ill get it done eventually.....unless your loaded and have people doing the work for you.....projects normally feel like they take forever lol...but there worth the effort when you stand back and look at the finished product

I still cant get my camera to capture the TRUE plum crazy purple.....not even in daylight.....but it looks a brighter and richer in person (those who have plum crazy purple cars may have the same problem with the color not coming out right in pictures?)

anyways....here is a few pictures of the engine bay in the day light....Keep in mind the paint has not been wet sanded or buffed....its that glossy straight from the spray gun.

I have done a bit more work to it but I need to take pictures of it....the kframe is all fresh black aswell as the steering column......shock mount rubbers were cleaned and the retaining plates I wet sanded and polished and I then put gloss black rubber caps on the threads to spiff it up a bit.....I also installed nice shiny new wire loom fire wall clips too.

I will be doing alot more over the next few days to it.

also I started on refurbishing my firewall forward wire harness.....I took pictures of the before but I am only about half way done with it but I will take pictures when it is done.

stay tuned!

DSCI0966.jpg

DSCI0965.jpg

DSCI0957.jpg

DSCI0959.jpg

DSCI0961.jpg

DSCI0967.jpg

Here is a couple pictures i took since I started painting parts black and installing them (still in progress) I also wet sanded one spot where I had a little bit of clear coat sag but I forgot to take a picture of it after words.....it wasnt bad but I was bored and figured i would do something lol.

also I polished my shock tower "washers" and put black rubber caps over the threads....I thought it added a nice little touch to it.

also in the pictures you can see all the new wire loom holders I picked up at my hardware store and mounted to the firewall in the factory locations where I cut the old nasty stock ones off.....I think it looks nice and clean, how about you guys?

I enjoy the comments!

DSCI1008.jpg

DSCI0999.jpg

DSCI1010.jpg

DSCI1009.jpg

That machine's gonna be a thing of beauty/ work of art when you get done with it. Amazing. Keep up the great work.

Wylde1.

Really looking good. That purple really shows nice, and the accessories are really finishing off the bay.. Excellent job.

Grant

-
Back