Status
Not open for further replies.

gunmetal72

Life is a dark ride
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Contact seller
I bought a new harness for my tail lights and the sockets are crap. They don't seem to make contact with the bulbs all the time. I was hoping someone might have some good ones,, used ones or new as lomg as they will work properly

When I re-wired my '72 I bought new ones, at Advance Auto IIRC. I think the tail light sockets were fine right out of the box, but the back up sockets I had to solder a ground wire to them.

They don't seem to make contact with the bulbs all the time.

What are your symptoms? It sounds like a grounding issue.
C

Not a grounding issue, I have used a test light and I get a good ground from the side of the bulb when its in the socket If I wiggle or lightly turn the bulb I can make them work but they quit a short while later, seems the contacts inside the socket move

I have nice used OEM ones if that would work for you. PM If interested.

Side note: A lot of the newer cheaper bulbs have contacts that aren't clocked correctly, too. I've been using Harley-Davidson bulbs and I like 'em. High quality, plus they're extra heavy-duty because they have to put up with all that vibration (heavier filaments). Expensive, but I'm not into that getting rear-ended stuff.

I've probably got those sockets...but, before I sell 'em to you, do two things. First, soak the inside of the sockets you have with WD or PB blaster, and work the contact plate up and down, side to side until they float freely on the spring beneath them. Then, on the bulbs you are using, put a small drop of solder on the contacts to build them up about .050". If none of that solves your issue, let me know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back