727 disc?

-

flathead31coupe

Reaction score
With the disc's and steels in the drums..is there a feeler gauge check to see if the need replaced.. Or another way to tell..they look good and not burnt..

Via clearance between the pressure plate and clutch stack, but I don't remember the spec.
I'll see if I can find it for you with google.

Per Coan Racing instructions.

Set the high clutch pack clearance to .060”-.080”.
Set the Fwd. clutch pack to .030”-.040”.

Keep in mind that this clearance isn't critical or absolute, as it can vary some and be just fine.

I've had the best results with keeping the clutch clearances in the range of 0.012 - 0.015" per friction. So if you have 5 frictions in the Hi/Reverse (front) drum, max clearance should be 0.075 inch measured between the pressure plate & selective snap ring as Trail Beast stated. I prefer to stay on the minimum side of the tolerance for the forward (rear) clutch as this is not a "shifting" clutch. Be strict on this measurement, as too little clearance can cause creep in N with a stock converter.

check your clearance with the disc dry....then soak them and assemble them..

oh...see you want to see if they are warn out...disassemble and inspect them for wear and look at the steel for heat marks on them

hard to check clearance with the atf in there.

check your clearance with the disc dry....then soak them and assemble them..

oh...see you want to see if they are warn out...disassemble and inspect them for wear and look at the steel for heat marks on them

hard to check clearance with the atf in there.

Yep, set them dry then soak them in fluid before assy.

-
Back