727 front hub piston installtion

-

DWinTX

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm rebuilding a 727. It's my first time ever to rebuild a transmission. I'm using Carl Munroe's book and it's going pretty well so far. I'm putting together the front clutch hub and running into a problem getting the piston into the hub with the new seals in place. The book mentions using a lubricant called Door Ease on the outer seal, but nobody has that locally. Even getting the piston past the inner seal w/o pulling it out of the land is proving difficult.

There are also a series of you tube videos on rebuilding a 727 and they mention putting the piston in the freezer for 15 minutes. I'm going to try that, but does anyone else have any tricks for getting it in without distorting the seals? When I pulled the piston out, the outer seal was twisted in the land. The tranny worked, but I'm trying to get it together correctly.

......if ur pulling the inner seal out of the groove, it can't be in right...Ur local home hardware store should have door ease..........it works fantastic..........kim......

I tried the HW stores. They have it on their websites, but don't stock it locally. One said it just doesn't sell well enough. Guess maybe I should order some and wait till next weekend. I can build some of the other assemblies while I'm waiting.

I've also seen lots of rebuilders use ordinary vasoline. Others prefer a product from Lube-Gard. Builders choice.

I have used a thin feeler gage maybe 0.020" and gently worked around both the inner and outer seals and with a slight pressure and rocking motion the piston drops in. Have to be careful not to nick the seal.

-
Back