727 leak

-

skep419

5.9 Magnum 4 speed afficionado
Reaction score
I’ve replaced the pan gasket multiple times with different style Gaskets. All with the same results. It leaks after you drive it and let it sit. The torque converter must drain back in overfill the pan.
023AAB0C-02C6-4C11-B7D1-707EA34E966C.jpeg
Checked the pan and the case with a straight edge, all good.It looks like it could be coming from the dipstick tube. Took it apart and the rubber was dry I am both sides. Any other ideas?

Some have a threaded hole for the tab on the dipstick make sure there is a bolt in there, seen that a few times. Just a thought.

Possibly leaking from the reverse lever shaft, a bad o-ring. Oil will leak from the end of the shaft, down the case onto the case/pan gasket , and then flow around the entire gasket perimeter and then drip from the lowest point of the gasket, which depends on what angle the car is parked. Quick fix without tearing things apart, is to drain the fluid to below the shaft, push the shaft in as far as it will go, degrease the shaft end, the bore, and case, seal (pack it) with some rtv, gray or, let it cure, refill and you may have ended your leak.

Last edited:
My new tranny got smok'n hit he first go around and it swelled the gaskets. Are you sure your not over 220F.

Best I can tell you is to degrease the trans, drive it, then investigate. Shifter/kickdown shaft area ( could be seals or worn shafts) the front pump and seal, the dipstick, the extension housing, the reverse shifter shaft, pan and/or gasket. Or case porosity. I believe the FSM covers possible leaks, and heres maybe not the best article but it covers leaks. https://www.allpar.com/mopar/transmissions/torqueflite-fixes.html

Clean it off extremely well and literally get a magnifying glass ans inspect the pan rail on the transmission. Look very closely at the holes for a crack. It's a more popular problem than many realize. Sometimes they leak and sometimes they don't

Probably from above pan surface and like it was said above clean it and inspect. I like break clean for checking trans leaks. Better on a lift or at least 4 jack stands. Drive till hot lift and spray down the pan area and 3 inches above. That should cover all usual leak points. A mirror may help with cleaning and the inspection process.

-
Back