727 parkin grind sound

-

bbmopars

Reaction score
I have a 440 and 727 in my 71 dart.727 was rebuilt not long ago.it will go into gear fine.when I go and put back in park it will make a bad grind for sec but i hurry up and turn it off when it does. Is it possibly the linkage is out adjustment? The car is off i can spin the rear tires by hand. You can kinda here rear brakes sounds like its not all the way in park the linkage isnt.

I have a 440 and 727 in my 71 dart.727 was rebuilt not long ago.it will go into gear fine.when I go and put back in park it will make a bad grind for sec but i hurry up and turn it off when it does. Is it possibly the linkage is out adjustment? The car is off i can spin the rear tires by hand. You can kinda here rear brakes sounds like its not all the way in park the linkage isnt.
I had this same issue with the column shift linkage on a d100, the plastic bushings were worn out. Might be worth looking into.

Jake’s member

I had this same issue with the column shift linkage on a d100, the plastic bushings were worn out. Might be worth looking into.

Jake’s member
Ok i have a factory console shift.ill look into that.

Is the cars rear off the ground? Sounds like the wheels are still turning when your trying to put it in park. That will cause that same noise.

If is a loud clack clack it i probably the park lever jumping over the notched cog.
Grinding could also be the rear spraque has let go did they put a bolt in spraque the park is connected directly to the tail shaft there is not much in between

Is the cars rear off the ground? Sounds like the wheels are still turning when your trying to put it in park. That will cause that same noise.
Yah its on jack stands.it probably that does when puttin it in park.then the wheels will stop.i can tell its not fully engaged in park the linkage anyway.i can spin rear tires by hand right now and car is off.

If is a loud clack clack it i probably the park lever jumping over the notched cog.
Grinding could also be the rear spraque has let go did they put a bolt in spraque the park is connected directly to the tail shaft there is not much in between
No sure if they did.

Yah its on jack stands.it probably that does when puttin it in park.then the wheels will stop.i can tell its not fully engaged in park the linkage anyway.i can spin rear tires by hand right now and car is off.
Put your foot on the brake and make sure both rear wheels are stopped and then try and shift it to park, I'll bet your noise is gone.

Perfectly normal for an open differential. Sounds like the rear wheels are still spinning when you are engaging park. Pretty common with the rear wheels off the ground as the rear brakes delay slightly when depressing the pedal. With the car on the ground, I suspect you will find you'll have normal operation.

Yah its probably the problem but now the car will roll on ground since the rear tires move while car is off and they shoudnt unless the car is out of park.

You have a open differential. Put it on the ground and see if it is in park. The car shouldn't roll.

You have a open differential. Put it on the ground and see if it is in park. The car shouldn't roll.
I disconnected the linkage and it wasnt fully in park.i push lever with my hand to put in park.its not fully engaging in park

Look at the drive shaft when you turn the tire. It shouldn’t move and if you watch the other tire it will be spinning the opposite direction. That’s because you are turning one axle and since the pinion is locked up the other axle is rotated by the spider gears. If you had a limited slip then the tires would be locked by the trans. You still may have an adjustment issue but this is how your diff works. Hope this helps.

Look at the drive shaft when you turn the tire. It shouldn’t move and if you watch the other tire it will be spinning the opposite direction. That’s because you are turning one axle and since the pinion is locked up the other axle is rotated by the spider gears. If you had a limited slip then the tires would be locked by the trans. You still may have an adjustment issue but this is how your diff works. Hope this helps.
Oh ok i put the shift lever on transmission with my hand all the way back in the park detent position.the tires just spin freely

Three people have told you in different ways; that if you look at the other rear tire; while you're spinning one; with the trans in park; the driveshaft is NOT spinning; but the tire on THE OTHER SIDE is spinning.....BACKWARDS. Symptom of a NON posi.

Three people have told you in different ways; that if you look at the other rear tire; while you're spinning one; with the trans in park; the driveshaft is NOT spinning; but the tire on THE OTHER SIDE is spinning.....BACKWARDS. Symptom of a NON posi.
oh ok yah i know its not a non posi.its a 8 1/4 rear.ill look at that

Yah its probably the problem but now the car will roll on ground since the rear tires move while car is off and they shoudnt unless the car is out of park.

Stop arguing and trust somebody that's been doing this since the mid 70s. Drop the car on the ground. It will lock when in park. The wheels turn in park because you have an open differential. It's normal.

yah your right the drive shaft isnt spinning at all.i have the lever in park.tires do spin two different ways

Would anyone know if this a console floorshift lower shift rod?

$_1.JPG

-
Back