727???'s

-

abodybill

Reaction score
need some help as i have always had a small block's in my cars with 727's or the big block cars were 4-speeds.

so what i like to know how do you tell the diference between the bb or sb 727?

thanks for help.

The easiest way is to look at the top two holes on the trans or bellhousing. The small block ones are around 8 inches apart and the big block ones are around 6 inches apart. I'm not certain about the sizes, but the big blocks are definitely a couple of inches less. These are the top two mounting holes for the bolts that hole the trans to the block.

The way I remember is that big blocks have 4 mounting holes for the dust cover, the small blocks have 2.

Both are correct.Here is the facts,the small block 727 bell housings top bolts are 7 3/4 apart and have 2 inspection cover mounting holes.The big block 727 bell housing bolts are 6 7/16 apart and has 4 inspection cover bolts.The BB727 has a smooth line from the bottom of the tranny to the starter,the SB 727 has a small indentation and it is not a smooth line from the bottom to the starter location.if you have any other tranny question,just ask,Mrmopartech

-
Back