727 shift linkage - now car won't turn over

-

MrJLR

Built, not bought
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I was installing my Bouchillon cable on my 727 and had to remove the shift linkage arm that connects the shifter lever to the transmission lever...
I must have it jacked up out of adjustment now because in park and or neutral (anywhere ) the engine won't turn over.....

How do I correctly adjust / set that linkage?

Jeff

You can either hold the key in the start position and run the shifter through the gears or disconnect the cable then go under the car and run the shift lever through the detents to find the right spot. Then try again.
Most shifters I've seen make it so you have to put the car in first and set the cable there.

I'm starting to wonder if it's my linkage or the neutral safety switch. ...it won't turn over in and of the positions. ..?????

Jeff

I would set your shift linkage so that is works exactly how it should. You want the car to be securely in Park when that is selected, as well as any gear you select. Then, I would make the kick down work around the shift linkage. I've never used the after market kickdown cables, so I don't know what complications there are to that. I've always used kickdown linkage from Ma Mopar, in one shape, form, or another.

Did you disconnect the battery?
HabUtrydboostinit?lol
Yeah so what I mean is , will the engine crank by shorting the start relay?
Or by grounding the spade on the relay that normally would go to the NSS.
Oh yeah, make sure it's in park, eh, so she don't motor through the front wall!

There were no wires on the switch when i went down there to start....just 3 prongs sticking out.....? I wondered why...but thought that was why I had no reverse lights...

To be in park, the lever on the transmission should be all the way forward - yes?

Jeff

There were no wires on the switch when i went down there to start....just 3 prongs sticking out.....? I wondered why...but thought that was why I had no reverse lights...

To be in park, the lever on the transmission should be all the way forward - yes?

Jeff

Reverse lights are the two outer prongs and the neutral safety is the center prong.
There is supposed to be a rubber cap/socket that goes on those three prongs.

Can I bypass the switch temporarily somehow?

Jeff

You can bypass it with the wires that go, or used to go to it, or at the relay on the inner fender.
I'll see if I can find the relay terminal that needs to be grounded to bypass it and post it.

Courtesy of our own Slant6Dan:
Find the brown wire connected to one of the small terminals on the starter relay. Remove the brown wire from the starter relay, and connect a jumper from its terminal on the starter relay to ground.

Be aware that the car will start in any gear position after doing this.

Can I bypass the switch temporarily somehow?

Jeff
Well, the wires come from under the hood, follow along the tranny housing and just plug in the neutral safety switch. Should have them someplace, huh Jeff?? But yes, you can bypass that switch IF you find the wires, then just jump them. HOWEVER, if you find the wires, I say just plug it in!! :)

To by pass, at the starter relay, just ground the tab where the neutral safety switch connected. Looking down on it, it is the tab toward the engine.

You guys rock....tomorrow morning I'll try bypassing it with my foot FIRMLY on the brake and see how it goes....thanks a million!

Jeff

If you cant find that part of the harness that plugs into the safety switch and you have an aftermarket shifter you can always use the safety switches built into the shifter.

If there wasn't a plug on the 3-pins connector to begin with, the starter relay already must have been bypassed if it did start before.

I so want to get out there and fix whatever the heck it is...but my back went out. I've had a bad back since I was 27...49 now and it SUCKS!
I'm hoping I can get back on it tomorrow. ...just started my vacation and my back goes out.....ugh

It's killing me not fixing it right now......
I'll keep everyone posted once I'm on my feet again. ...damn this sucks!

Jeff

Ah, good point guys. Maybe a bad starter relay?
Jump the relay, if the car starts, the relay is bad.
Jeff, I hope the back feels better soon. I know what you are going through. It does suck.

Ah, good point guys. Maybe a bad starter relay?
Jump the relay, if the car starts, the relay is bad.
Jeff, I hope the back feels better soon. I know what you are going through. It does suck.
Thanks.....and it drives me crazy not being able to fix it right now!

Jeff

-
Back