727 spedo

-

duster wonder

National Guard Member
Reaction score
my 73 duster once was a 340 with 4 on the floor but some dude decided a 318 with a 727 tranny was better :protest: . however the spedo is not working and i believe its not even hooked up. is it possible to hook it right up even with a different tranny in it? how do i accomplish this? thanks

The speedometer cable runs down the firewall and under the car then makes one nearly 90 degree turn under the driver. It should attach to the left side of any trans.

I'm not positive but I think the speedometer adapter is the same thread on all the older Mopar transmissions so your cable should screw right on.

I'm not positive but I think the speedometer adapter is the same thread on all the older Mopar transmissions so your cable should screw right on.

Depends on what year. I don't know when they switched to the newer plastic insert.

OP: You'll have to "get under there" and look. If you are lucky, it's the older style and should screw right on. Refer to the shop manual for tire size versus speedo gear teeth.

A '66 and newer 727 and 833 used the same type speedo cable connection. They did make a couple dozen different gears though.....depending on rear end ratio and tire size.

-
Back