727 Stuck In Low Gear And Shifter Frozen.

-

superchargeddrt

Reaction score
We'll I had an old friend come over to my house so we could work on a car for him. While he was here (and because it was a beautiful day) I decided to take him for a demo ride in the Dart. Of course this included an obligatory burnout. I started my burnout in second gear and banged third at around 4000 rpm. The burnout just didn't seem right so I stopped tried to put it back into first gear but the shifter was jammed in second and wouldn't move either direction. The transmission seemed to be stuck in first gear and there was considerable slippage. I drove the car game like this (about 2 miles) and when I got home I pulled right into the garage and shut it down. I am very worried that I may have damaged the transmission because I pulled the dipstick and I could smell a slight burnt smell. We disconnected the shifter cable and the shifter worked. We tried moving the shifter arm and it was jammed. It appears that it could be in the valve body. I have brand new CRT manual valve body (the current valve body is a Fairbanks reverse manual WITHOUT low band apply, this is why I wanted to replace it). What do you guys think? Is it possible that the issue is in the valve body, maybe a bent valve or actuator and do you think I did too much damage by driving it 2 miles? Thanks for the help guys.

We'll I had an old friend come over to my house so we could work on a car for him. While he was here (and because it was a beautiful day) I decided to take him for a demo ride in the Dart. Of course this included an obligatory burnout. I started my burnout in second gear and banged third at around 4000 rpm. The burnout just didn't seem right so I stopped tried to put it back into first gear but the shifter was jammed in second and wouldn't move either direction. The transmission seemed to be stuck in first gear and there was considerable slippage. I drove the car game like this (about 2 miles) and when I got home I pulled right into the garage and shut it down. I am very worried that I may have damaged the transmission because I pulled the dipstick and I could smell a slight burnt smell. We disconnected the shifter cable and the shifter worked. We tried moving the shifter arm and it was jammed. It appears that it could be in the valve body. I have brand new CRT manual valve body (the current valve body is a Fairbanks reverse manual WITHOUT low band apply, this is why I wanted to replace it). What do you guys think? Is it possible that the issue is in the valve body, maybe a bent valve or actuator and do you think I did too much damage by driving it 2 miles? Thanks for the help guys.

Sounds like the selector valve or lever is bent. Might as well get the pan off and have a look.

Sounds like the selector valve or lever is bent. Might as well get the pan off and have a look.
I plan on dropping the pan on Friday when I get home.from a business trip. Sure hope that the bands and clutches are ok. I have that new CRT manual valve body to put in. I thought it will probably be the valve being bent. Stay tuned I'll let you know what we find. Thanks for your opinion.

I plan on dropping the pan on Friday when I get home.from a business trip. Sure hope that the bands and clutches are ok. I have that new CRT manual valve body to put in. I thought it will probably be the valve being bent. Stay tuned I'll let you know what we find. Thanks for your opinion.

I don't think you've hurt the transmission. It sounds like maybe the valve body didn't have it in gear all the way somehow.

We'll here's the results, NOT looking good for the home team! Just ordered a manual shift transmission From Cope Racing Transmissions (CRT) going to pick it up in about a month. Pictures!

IMG_20201112_170407195_copy_1500x2000.jpg

IMG_20201112_170400213_copy_1500x2000.jpg

Looks like the bottom of an outhouse.........

Looks like the bottom of an outhouse.........
Yeah, That's what I was thinking. I am not sure why as we just serviced this transmission when we installed the new stroker engine. Guess it wasn't up to handling 500 horsepower and 518 TQ LOL. By the way, the current transmission is a TCI Street fighter. It has held up for 20 years but we found a few shoddy items when we took it apart for servicing.

The TCI transs I've taken apart were just stock rebuilds with Cheetah valve bodies. One had bent clutch teeth from being bolted together without the plates engaged.

TCI = Total Crap Inside!!! I haven't seen or heard anything good about TCI in over 10 years.

Okay Guys,
Here's the solution. Ordered this transmission John Cope at Cope Racing Transmissions (CRT) about 3 weeks ago. It's one of his Pro Race reverse manual valve bodys. Can't say enough about how great John was to work with. He was very knowledgeable and he builds only Mopar transmissions. I drove up to his shop in Lowell Indiana to pick this up literally after the snow storm on Wednesday (7 hours each way). Got a tour of his shop and a new tee shirt as well. I ordered a new converter from Jegs on Friday morning and it arrived at my house on Saturday. It's a Hughes 3500 stall (part number 24-35). Planing on installing it next Thursday. Pictures coming.

IMG_20201219_143939731.jpg
IMG_20201217_143525465.jpg
IMG_20201217_143631063.jpg
IMG_20201217_143516936.jpg
IMG_20201217_143259833.jpg
IMG_20201217_143253134.jpg

-
Back