727 trans mods

-

ram45red

Reaction score
Starting to round up parts to rebuild my small block 727 trans for a foot brake 1/8 mile braket car. Planning on putting it behind a 500 plus hp stroker small block.Last time it was rebuilt and ran behind a stout 340 kit was a MOPAR PERFORMANE with 5.0 lever and deep pan with 2500 stall. Safety and reliability is what I"m after. Looking to add manual shift valve body ,bolt in sprag if needed and surely a higher rpm stall converter with some kind of a trans shield. Safety first my kids will be driving sometime. Like I said this will be my braket/toy hot rod only no street cruising for this one. Thank You. Sandy

Starting to round up parts to rebuild my small block 727 trans for a foot brake 1/8 mile braket car. Planning on putting it behind a 500 plus hp stroker small block.Last time it was rebuilt and ran behind a stout 340 kit was a MOPAR PERFORMANE with 5.0 lever and deep pan with 2500 stall. Safety and reliability is what I"m after. Looking to add manual shift valve body ,bolt in sprag if needed and surely a higher rpm stall converter with some kind of a trans shield. Safety first my kids will be driving sometime. Like I said this will be my braket/toy hot rod only no street cruising for this one. Thank You. Sandy

I just built a 727 and was considering the same. I did needle bearings in the case, full metal jacket aluminum drum, 4 gear planetaries, bolt in sprag....

The 5.0 lever may or may not work. You need to use the recommended lever that the valve body you shoose calls for. Some call for a 5.0, some call for a 3.8, etc... Even though you said it won't be street driven try to get a valve body with low band apply. Install a good quality bolt in sprague no iff's, and's, or buts. That is the 727's weakest point. If the sprague spins in the case it can go off like a gernade. As long as the sprague is doing it's job the front drum upgrade isn't a necessity but it's still a good idea, although costly. Upgrade the rear servo to a billet unit and use an old style front servo. Other than that just use good quality components (clutch discs, bands, koleen coated steels) and pay close attention to details, such as clearances, and it'll work good and last a long time.

If you need a shield I have one that Im not going to use.It was bolted to the tranny only pm me if interested.

-
Back