727 Transmission Help

-

moparspares

Reaction score
I have read that there is a fibrous washer that goes on the rear planetary gears. I however have a 3 eared clover washer and a round flat washer. Are both of these used or just the one and if both the orienation would be flat washer against the planets and then clover washer.

WARD6558.JPG

I have always seen the fibrous washer on the front of the output shaft, but a few days ago I took apart a non lockup mid 80s 727, the newest one that I have worked on and it had the three ear washer, there are three scallops that the ears fit into. I think this is a newer style. Interestingly this transmission had the most input shaft endplay that I have seen, over .100". It is possible that they also had more endplay and someone added the second washer to tighten it up.

15388018702767129247859813751097.jpg

According to Carl Monroe Book see pic but goes onto say 1978 and up have a washer and plate but dont show a pic which is not helpful.

thrust014.jpg

I have always seen the fibrous washer on the front of the output shaft, but a few days ago I took apart a non lockup mid 80s 727, the newest one that I have worked on and it had the three ear washer, there are three scallops that the ears fit into. I think this is a newer style. Interestingly this transmission had the most input shaft endplay that I have seen, over .100". It is possible that they also had more endplay and someone added the second washer to tighten it up.

View attachment 1715231773
Ok so I am assuming I use the 3 ear thrust plus the steal washer according to Carl Monroe

Last edited:
There is a thin race that goes between the 3-tab washer and the output shaft. I had a heck of a time finding one a couple years back, the factory P/N is 4329806. Superior sells a kit #K063 that has a few different thickness shims, you can use one of those to set endplay as well.

The three tab thrust washer was a running change. Not sure when they went to it. I think the output shaft shim was always round but they did use a fiber there and later years switched to the copper/steel version. I like to use the copper one, the fibers are always ate up.

-
Back