727 transmission rebuild time

-

This Bad Demon

Reaction score
So a few weeks ago I made a post about a 727 trans issue.. Well trans finally lost drive an reverse is failing... I'm planning to rebuild it an was searching parts and upgrades I could do and come across a company named SMR an they offer a modular style kit where everything is rebuild or replaced. Valve body comes with a shift kit installed. Just take apart and install new parts. Anyone ever used one of these kits before? The pricing was around what I was goin to spend putting together a parts list... Who do you all use?

Sounds like a good kit. Only thing I could see being a pain is getting all those new hard parts stacked up to tolerance correctly. It is expensive though, for a basic rebuild. And if you have a toasted fwd drum, aren't they going to charge you anyways when you return it?

So a few weeks ago I made a post about a 727 trans issue.. Well trans finally lost drive an reverse is failing... I'm planning to rebuild it an was searching parts and upgrades I could do and come across a company named SMR an they offer a modular style kit where everything is rebuild or replaced. Valve body comes with a shift kit installed. Just take apart and install new parts. Anyone ever used one of these kits before? The pricing was around what I was goin to spend putting together a parts list... Who do you all use?

Pat Storey who owns SMR is a great guy to deal with. I've dealt with him in the past and had no issues at all. Pat races(raced) a Dakota in the NHRA circuit and knows not only race transmissions and what they need but also what is best for a daily driver. Tell Pat exactly what you plan on doing with your car and he will treat you right.

Sounds like a good kit. Only thing I could see being a pain is getting all those new hard parts stacked up to tolerance correctly. It is expensive though, for a basic rebuild. And if you have a toasted fwd drum, aren't they going to charge you anyways when you return it?

Not sure. I know they do have a core charge they add on so it's a charge either way.

Pat Storey who owns SMR is a great guy to deal with. I've dealt with him in the past and had no issues at all. Pat races(raced) a Dakota in the NHRA circuit and knows not only race transmissions and what they need but also what is best for a daily driver. Tell Pat exactly what you plan on doing with your car and he will treat you right.
Ok cool..... I like that kit they offer....How I live in The Bahamas parts aren't cheap to bring in...I could rebuild it but trying to avoid having to carry the drums around to get the clutches installed....

-
Back