727 transmission

-

Wire

Reaction score
was at my local dodge dealer talking to a couple of the techs. I told them my 1971 duster 727 transmission was weeping at my gasket and tried to fix it more than a couple of times. They told me to buy a new transmission pan from a dodge truck part number 52118780AD (is 3 1/2 inches deep) and gasket 2464324AC and I will never have a problem again. So I ordered them to try. Will post when I get it done. Has anybody tried this?

You will need to extend the fluid pickup down if the pan is deeper.

Dorman makes a pan for a 47RH also that works on a 727TF. It works well. Part number is 265-827. I think I paid $42 for it plus $20 for an aluminum filter extension at the local Dodge dealer. If anyone wants, I can get the part number for that as well. It was almost half the price at the dealer as it was online. I also use the reusable gasket Mopar gasket. That thing never leaks. It a nice budget setup.

The new style gasket is a big improvement. I agree with the others that you should use an extension for the filter when using the deep pan. It'll work without it but it's better with it

yes I ordered a filter extension P4510054 and filter to use with the new pan and gasket. forgot to mention it. mopowers was correct, 52118780AD pan does not have a drain plug in it . bolted right up with no problems and drove the car for 1 hour. yes no weeping at the gasket.

We installed the deep pan and my transmission guy (member VOETOM) said it wouldn't be necessary to extend the pickup. The fluid level won't change, just the amount in the pan.

We installed the deep pan and my transmission guy (member VOETOM) said it wouldn't be necessary to extend the pickup. The fluid level won't change, just the amount in the pan.
Should have told him you were planning to do 50 degree wheel stands LOL
See what he said then :)

Yep, that's the case Brian.

The rubber/metal gasket probably would have done the job itself unless his pan was pretty banged up.

Hmmmm. Chrysler must have built millions of transmissions incorrectly then...

Yeah, they did... not being able to check the trans fluid in park.

That has nothing to do with topic on hand,which is placing the pickup in the correct position. I wouldn't ignore this on an engine,pretty much the same on a trans. All it takes is developing a leak and you dont notice right away.Next thing is trans is sucking air,not fluid. This is basic mechanics 101.

That has nothing to do with topic on hand,which is placing the pickup in the correct position. I wouldn't ignore this on an engine,pretty much the same on a trans. All it takes is developing a leak and you dont notice right away.Next thing is trans is sucking air,not fluid. This is basic mechanics 101.
Well I agree the filter extension should be used, Im using one, as long as you keep fluid level full on the dipstick, makes no difference how much fluid is under the filter. Full is full. :burnout:MT

I had issues with the deep chrome pan leaking and it turned out the mating surface for the gasket just needed to be sandblasted to get things to mesh right. Had a similar issue with the chrome Mancini water neck. Sanded down the gasket surface with a flat sanding block, put in a new gasket and have been golden ever since.

Well I agree the filter extension should be used, Im using one, as long as you keep fluid level full on the dipstick, makes no difference how much fluid is under the filter. Full is full. :burnout:MT

You mean "mechanics 101"?
Who cares how deep the lake is if the fish are bitting on the surface. :D

I had issues with the deep chrome pan leaking and it turned out the mating surface for the gasket just needed to be sandblasted to get things to mesh right. Had a similar issue with the chrome Mancini water neck. Sanded down the gasket surface with a flat sanding block, put in a new gasket and have been golden ever since.

Sealing surfaces matter don't they?
I'm kind of a nut about leaks of any kind, even seeps drive me crazy to the point I will never use cork anywhere. (the **** always ends up seeping at some point)
And NEVER anything but RTV on water necks.

And this is a daily driver car so... :D

Attachments

• engine.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 168
No need to remind me who not to let build my engine,lol....air makes a great lubricant! NOT!!!

I get what you all are saying, but if I had a deep pan I would for sure drop the pick-up; And then I might run it a qt low, and recalibrate the stick. Maybe then it would quit throwing fluid out when I'm having fun in old man Johnson's back-40.
Oh wait, I did do that,lol.

-
Back