727 Trouble...

-

SleeperScamp

Reaction score
I have a 79 W150 - 318 /727 All stock.. I started the truck and was driving out of the parking lot and the high idle was engaged so I put it in neutral and quickly floored it to knock off the high idle. Immediately after and ever since then the truck has no 2nd gear. It takes a LOOONNNGGG time to shift out of 1st and goes straight into 3rd gear. I have adjusted the kick down and the only difference is the amount of time it stays in first is shorter. Does it sound like I need a complete rebuild or????? TIA...

Check your linkage on carb and trans,perhaps something stuck or fell apart.
I did lose second,a clutch piston seal failed. When i tore trans apart it was obvious.
I re-read, trans needs to come out.

I have a 79 W150 - 318 /727 All stock.. I started the truck and was driving out of the parking lot and the high idle was engaged so I put it in neutral and quickly floored it to knock off the high idle. Immediately after and ever since then the truck has no 2nd gear. It takes a LOOONNNGGG time to shift out of 1st and goes straight into 3rd gear. I have adjusted the kick down and the only difference is the amount of time it stays in first is shorter. Does it sound like I need a complete rebuild or????? TIA...
Check your linkage on carb and trans,perhaps something stuck or fell apart.
I did lose second,a clutch piston seal failed. When i tore trans apart it was obvious.
I re-read, trans needs to come out.
May not need to pull trans, you might have dropped the intermediate band strut, you should pull pan and check to see if the band servo and band are intact.
Lon;

May not need to pull trans, you might have dropped the intermediate band strut, you should pull pan and check to see if the band servo and band are intact.
Lon;

You should be able to tell just by trying to tighten up the front band.
The adjuster bolt will just thread right in all the way without the strut or if the band broke.
These transmissions will shift right from 1-3 if the band isn't working, but usually it doesn't take more than the normal RPM's unless there is a fluid pressure leak (like possibly if the band servo or accumulator broke up.)

Screw the band adjuster in and see how far it goes in.
It should normally only screw in about 1 1/2-3 turns and tighten up if the band and strut are in place.

Lon;
Even easier, just crank the KD band and see if you can find resistance within 5 full turns ClockWise. If it won't snug up, then OFF WITH THE PAN,lol, for a looky-looky..
DOH, TB beat me to it!

Never thought about the band, i only broke my Rear band. That was my 68 coronet. First tranny i ever took apart. Still the easiest auto transmission on the planet to rebuild. Still have the manual i used to do it.
33 years ago.

-
Back