73' B3 340 Duster pro touring build

-
:mumum:
No problem, But I gotta tell you this is my first attempt at quarters also so we'll both be learning except you'll be able to learn from my mistakes(hopefully I wont make too many)I gave to get a panel flanger to overlap 1/4" for welding the top....

I prefer butt welding of the top of the quarters. Makes it clean in the trunk. Spot weld the other areas.when doing the butt weld make a bunch of tiny little tac welds until it gets filled in. Place the TAC welds in random areas to minimize warping. Keep a little spray bottle to cool it off as needed. I also shine a light from behind to expose any pinholes. The other thing about quarter replacement is to be patient as you will have to trim and fit many times.

Wow Reno...It took me reading the comment a few times before I realized what part of the build you were referring to......that's going way back to the very beginning, I almost forgot about that. Saw you Youtube video...cool Duster.

Sorry, was reading and got carried away in the build and forgot that this was a long time ago, lol. When I did a lot of my metal work, I didn't have nearly as much or the quality of reproduction parts available. Made me quite jealous as I had make more pieces on the body. (Lower half of trunk latch support, for example) I don't expect mine to be at the level that yours, but she will turn out nice nonetheless. Hope to get her in paint by spring. She will be more of a day two kind of car.

Thanks for the compliment on my vid! Means a lot coming from a fellow Dusterholic!😁

Oh, do black stripes as it seems everyone has white. Mine came with black and I can't wait for the day when I will see them on my car!

:mumum:

I prefer butt welding of the top of the quarters. Makes it clean in the trunk. Spot weld the other areas.when doing the butt weld make a bunch of tiny little tac welds until it gets filled in. Place the TAC welds in random areas to minimize warping. Keep a little spray bottle to cool it off as needed. I also shine a light from behind to expose any pinholes. The other thing about quarter replacement is to be patient as you will have to trim and fit many times.

That's actually exactly the way I ended up doing them....shining a light to see the pinholes and all, There was a lot of things and ways I said I was going to do things and ended up doing them different. Heck I totally reinforced my K frame, made my own Strut Rods and Tie Rod bars and then sold everything to go a different route (HDK), So there's been lots of things done differently...I guess everybody will have to stay tuned to the end to count all the changes I'll make. I just made another Big change that I wont reveal for a while but there's several post's referencing the parts before the change I just made.

Oh, do black stripes as it seems everyone has white. Mine came with black and I can't wait for the day when I will see them on my car!

Another change.....I'm not going with the original B-3 (Basin/Petty Blue) anymore. The Final color has been a big debate for me all I can say is another Shocker is coming this way. All I can say is the accent "stripe" color wont be Black or White.

Stopped by the engine builders shop today...short block is all together, there seems to be a problem with the ARP head studs and the Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, the nuts can't get full engagement with the longer studs...I took the ARP studs back to Summit Racing to verify they were the correct studs in the correct box (which they were) and then I called ARP to see if they had a solution to the problem (they didn't), they did suggest we order individual length studs since they didn't have a longer kit available, they thought maybe Edelbrock changed the height of there casting. In the last picture you can see the 1/8" plug for the dipstick tube since I will not be using it, I'll utilizing the oil pan's 1/2" plug with a screw in Lokar piece. As always thanks for looking and comments are welcome.
that has to go I was under the impression that you didn't advertise from your statement further back in this thread milodon on the oil pan just won't work . Lol love your build and your skills are off the map . I know your going to paint over it anyway just needed something to say in order to subscribe to the thread .

that has to go I was under the impression that you didn't advertise from your statement further back in this thread milodon on the oil pan just won't work . Lol love your build and your skills are off the map . I know your going to paint over it anyway just needed something to say in order to subscribe to the thread .

You are correct.....The sticker will be removed before painting. Thanks for Subscribing, I hope I won't disappoint.

The way you keep us in suspence and always wanting more.......You should produce a reality show.

The way you keep us in suspence and always wanting more.......You should produce a reality show.

Hey if a Obese illiterate sounding little girl can get one maybe I have a chance.
th

Heck I totally reinforced my K frame, made my own Strut Rods and Tie Rod bars and then sold everything to go a different route (HDK)

Same here except the rods and bars. Had it all installed and got the HDK bug. :banghead: Seems to be spreading.

The bad flu right now is swine flu - H1N1. I think I got H1DK1.

Same here except the rods and bars. Had it all installed and got the HDK bug. :banghead: Seems to be spreading.

The bad flu right now is swine flu - H1N1. I think I got H1DK1.

Yea, that H1DK1 Flu seems to be spreading like wildfire.. I've had it for 2 years now. In case anybody missed it, here's the suspension parts I made 3 years ago and sold.
attachment.php

And the Hotchkis parts they were loosely based off of next to them for comparison. I also made a copy of the CAP (now out of business) version for the pivot point. AAAHHHH..... the memories !!!!! Page 7, post 159 of the building case anybody wants to see more.

Attachments

• duster%20049.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 568
  • duster%20054%20(2).jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 547
  • duster%20057%20(2).jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 549
  • duster%20064%20(2).jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 550
And the Hotchkis parts they were loosely based off of next to them for comparison. I also made a copy of the CAP (now out of business) version for the pivot point. AAAHHHH..... the memories !!!!! Page 7, post 159 of the building case anybody wants to see more.

I made a paper airplane last week ................

Scruffs is snoozin on my lap....pretending to watch me type and the Packer game

-
Back